VMware Networking Community
triley31
Contributor
Contributor

networking problem

Hi everyone,

I have a problem. I have 4 esxi hosts (still in eval mode - maybe that's causing the issue?) and 4 VMs, one on each host. The ESXI hosts use 3 physical adapters connected to trunk ports on a physical F140 switch. I've created a vDS and added each host to it and added the 3 uplinks. I've created a port group that allows all vlans. Only two of the VMs (at a time) have connectivity to anything outside of the host. If I vMotion the VMs with the connection, to another host, the other VM suddenly can access the network outside the host and the migrated machine cannot. There is some connectivity between the VMs but not on all vlans. 

I'm at wits end and out of ideas. Can someone think of something i haven't?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rmayconsult1337
Contributor
Contributor

If your in the Eval mode of the ESXI you will only have limited support and usability of the hypervisor software as trial download. You'd need to purchase the license for full support and have access to all the support features and tools that you are looking at using

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Given that the vDS gives a consistent control plane across multiple hosts, and your behaviours are different across hosts, sounds like some configuration at the physical layer isn’t right.

Might be a good idea to break the troubleshooting down, first get NIC teaming working with no VLANs across all your hosts, then move on to adding VLANs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please let's first clarify "... connected to trunk ports ...", since some vendors use this term differently. Are you talking of trunks in means of tagged ports (802.1Q), or in means of link aggregation?

What I've seen in the past, is that some switches come with some kind of port security enabled, which by default limits the number of MAC addresses allowed to login to each port. Make sure this is not enable.

André

0 Kudos
FilipSmeets81
Contributor
Contributor

How do you have your teaming and failover policy setup?

I would encourage you not to use LAG/LACP and let VMware handle the teaming and failover.

0 Kudos