VMware Networking Community
VijayRai
Contributor
Contributor

NIC Teaming by Originating Virtual Port ID

Hi Team,

I am new to Vmware/Virtualization learning. I was going through the topic of NIC teaming but different terms were creating confusion. Can you please let me know if my understanding about "NIC Teaming by Originating Virtual Port ID" is correct.

Every VM has either one vNIC or multiple vNICs, and each vNIC has Virtual Port ID, so based on the number of vNIC a VM has, each VM has either one or multiple Virtual Port ID. Now, these vNICs are connected to Virtual Switch by a Port Group. Now based on the Virtual Port ID of each vNIC, the traffic of each vNIC will go to different vmNIC. So, it means if a VM has 2 vNICs (with 2 different Virtual Port IDs), there is a possibility that their traffic will flow through different vmNICs.

Thanks in advance !!

Regards

Vijay

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
engyak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vijay, 

You're looking at the wrong port-ID, but your understanding is otherwise correct. 

The port ID you want - go navigate to "Networking" -> Your VDS/VSS Port Group -> The ports tab.

engyak_0-1628872147599.png

The port ID on the left is the one that's used for hashing in this case. It'll always create a unique port ID within the VDS/VSS if vCenter is available (or the exception here, Ephemeral mode) https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1022312

HTH!

0 Kudos