VMware Cloud Community
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

windows 10 - nested with Hyper-V network issue

This occurs in all versions of Windows 10 as host including last leaked.

Host: Windows 10 - vmware workstation. Role Hyper.V.

No problems creating the virtual machine in Hyper-V within VMware Workstation.

When you create a virtual network in Hyper-V (bridge), the network functions correctly, but when you reboot the host machine, you lose connectivity to the network. Disabling the virtual adapter and returning it to enable, the network recovers.

Apparently it seems as if it was an error of windows 10. But when Windows 10 is installed on an real machine, network connectivity is correct (included in the system reboots), so everything points to the virtual network interface that provides vmware.

Regards,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Both DHCP and manual IP the problem happened.

But...I've located the culprit.

On the host machine:

CULPRIT.JPG

Deactivating the filter "Connectify" the problem disappears.

The funny thing is that with this filter activated, if the guest is windows 8, no problems. If the guest is Windows 10, that's when problems happen.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

jmtella wrote:

When you create a virtual network in Hyper-V (bridge), the network functions correctly, but when you reboot the host machine, you lose connectivity to the network.

Do you mean "when you reboot the guest"?

Can you clarify the environment you've set up?

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Host:  Windows 8.1.

Install vmware Workstation and virtual machine with Windows 10. Install role Hyper-V in Windows 10. The network in Windows 10 is correct. Create. In Hyper-V manager créate Virtual switch (external, and mark "Allow management operating system to share this network afapter") and install any virtual machine (nested) The network is correct in Windows 10 and in the new virtual machine (nested).

Reboot Windows 10: you lose connectivity to the network. Toregain network connectivity must be unchecked and check again "Allow managemente operating system to share this netword adapter" in Hyper-V manager.

Regards,

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows 10 build 10122 and the same problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which virtual network adapter are you using?  Have you tried a different virtual network adapter?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

jmtella wrote:

Apparently it seems as if it was an error of windows 10. But when Windows 10 is installed on an real machine, network connectivity is correct (included in the system reboots), so everything points to the virtual network interface that provides vmware.

Are you using the same kind of network adapter on the physical host as in the virtual machine?

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Tested with e1000 a vmxnet3.

It is a problem of vmware. The scenario is as follows:

Host: W8.1 / W1012 R2.  Vmware 11.1.0

Guest: Windows 10 / Server 10.  Role Hyper-V

I tested with 8 different server and five laptops.

The problem is what I said to colleagues, and the same thing happens. No one machine where the problem does not exist.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post a vmware.log file (as an attachment).

jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Attached

Regards,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

jmtella wrote:

Host:  Windows 8.1.

Install vmware Workstation and virtual machine with Windows 10. Install role Hyper-V in Windows 10. The network in Windows 10 is correct. Create. In Hyper-V manager créate Virtual switch (external, and mark "Allow management operating system to share this network afapter") and install any virtual machine (nested) The network is correct in Windows 10 and in the new virtual machine (nested).

Reboot Windows 10: you lose connectivity to the network. Toregain network connectivity must be unchecked and check again "Allow managemente operating system to share this netword adapter" in Hyper-V manager.

I am having difficulty reproducing this problem.  To clarify,

Do you lose network connectivity in the Windows 10 guest or the nested guest?

Is the nested guest generation 1 or generation 2?  Is it running when you reboot the Windows 10 guest?

Are you rebooting the Windows 10 guest from within the guest or from the Workstation UI?

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>Do you lose network connectivity in the Windows 10 guest or the nested guest?

In Windows 10 Guest. When I install the guest, I have conectividiad. I proceed to create the virtual siwtch (on the Hyper-V console) and still have connectivity. But as restart the guest, connectivity is lost. The coenctividad recovers deleted the virtual switch and creating it again. But as the virtual restart the problem happens again.

>Is the nested guest generation 1 or generation 2?  Is it running when you reboot the Windows 10 guest?

Do not install the virtual machine in Hyper-V, the problem arises in the W10 that has no network.

>Are you rebooting the Windows 10 guest from within the guest or from the Workstation UI?

Workstation UI.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

jmtella wrote:

>Are you rebooting the Windows 10 guest from within the guest or from the Workstation UI?

Workstation UI.

Does it work if you reboot the guest from within the guest?

I see that you have a custom virtual network for this guest.  Does it work if you use a simple bridge?

I'm still unable to reproduce the problem.  Is there anything else that I should know about your environment?

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I reproduce the problem on any machine.

The guest loses network connectivity.

vmware-net-hyperV-error.JPG

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would like to help you.  Please answer the following questions:

Does it work if you reboot the guest from within the guest instead of from the Workstation UI?

Does it work if you use bridged networking instead of a custom virtual network?

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>Does it work if you reboot the guest from within the guest instead of from the Workstation UI?

No. Same problem.

>Does it work if you use bridged networking instead of a custom virtual network?

No. Same problem.

Regards,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is there anything interesting in the event logs?  Particularly with source Hyper-V-VmSwitch or e1express?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have any of the virtual switch extensions enabled?

Windows10-2015-05-22-09-57-34.png

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In EventLogs, Two or three times per second the following message:

"The MAC address 00-0C-29-46-FB-44 has moved from port D340E3E3-A10A-48FC-A31F-19AD2D027266 (Friendly Name: v-net0) to port B484EC07-6218-4118-B40A-1BE6487FB977 (Friendly Name: v-net0_External)."

EventLogs.JPG

- Virtual Switch Extension: disabled.

-If enable / disable "Aloow management operating system....", connectivity resumes. But in the next restart is lost.

Management.JPG

This made me think at first that it was problem in Windows 10. But if I install Windows 10 real machine, this never happens to me.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe my setup is the same as yours:

Windows10-2015-05-22-10-45-41.png

However, I do not have any connectivity problems at reboot, nor do I get a flood of event 25 messages in my event logs:

Windows10-2015-05-22-10-47-45.png

Is there any more information you can provide to help recreate the problem?

0 Kudos
jmtella
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is very curious, if I set the guest as NAT, the problem does not happen

NAT.JPG

0 Kudos