VMware Cloud Community
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere & server 2008 r2 x64 WONT INSTALL

vsphere 60day trial

server 2003 runs just fine Smiley Happy

server 2008 r2 😕 wont even get bast boot to install ...

My problem is showen in the video below .. ( Note: I can use a remote connection if you have it to help me out. )

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

in order to install the 64 bit 2008 r2, in a virtualized environment, the VMM needs to be in 64 bit mode, that is the virtual machine (the 2008) needs 64 bit execution mode, that is not possible in your case,

because you have virtualized the ESXi5, that is nested virtulalization, for the esxi CPU you didnt enabled the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI"

"

Workstation forces the virtual machine execution mode to VT-x/EPT or AMD-RVI.  Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode must be enabled to use virtualized  AMD-V/RVI.

I dont know if the virtual box support this kind of 64 execution mode, and your current physical CPU have this capability

if it is vmware workstation it is possible and the CPU also needs to be supported.Capture.JPG

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should i take the operating system to another vm program maybe one from vmware ? instead of virtualbox?

I do not see the option on the screen capture that you hadprovided to me <>

Pleas help me find this option or explain this to me a little better<>

I am new to this software thanks

help.jpg

Of course im running this in a  virtual enviroment's .. but what will happen when i take it to the  school server and install vsphere on that main server and try and deploy  server 2008r2 x64 ent .. ?

that board is all intel will i have any issues on a  real server with this vsphere..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

hould i take the operating system to another vm program maybe one from vmware ? instead of virtualbox?

The processor options shown in the screenshot Gkeerthy provided are for VMware Workstation 8, which allows to pass the required features to its guests (e.g. ESXi). Please take a look at Running Nested VMs for details.

but what will happen when i take it to the  school server and install  vsphere on that main server and try and deploy  server 2008r2 x64 ent ..  ?

This will work if the host's hardware (NICs, HDD controller, ...) is supported by ESXi. For lab/test purposes however it may be easier to run vSphere nested in VMware Workstation 8.

André

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sesipod wrote:

Should i take the operating system to another vm program maybe one from vmware ? instead of virtualbox?

Virtual Box does not virtualize VT-x or AMD-V, which is required for running 64-bit virtual machines in a nested environment.  If your hardware supports EPT or RVI, you will have better success with VMware Workstation 8 or Player 4.

0 Kudos
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I downloaded player 4 and it runs slowly <> is it the program or my computer ?? <>

Untitled.png

An the setting that i have set are they right ? If not pelase tell what settings i have to have to make this work_

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The processor setting is correct. However, you will also have to verify that the guest OS is configured correctly in the VM's .vmx file.

guestOS = "vmkernel5"

In addition to this, I'd suggest you set the number of vCPUs for the ESXi virtual machine to 2 rather than to 4 for a 4-core host.

André

0 Kudos
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

during install of server 2008 r2  on the vsphere i got this ??

I have used this iso befor on virtual box and a burned copy on my physical server here at the house..

Yes this is an offical server cd from microsoft

Untitled.png

__________________________________________________________________________________

André Pett wrote:

In addition to this, I'd suggest you set the number of vCPUs for the ESXi virtual machine to 2 rather than to 4 for a 4-core host.

Untitled.png

Like that ???

________________________________________________________________________________

André Pett wrote:

The processor setting is correct. However, you will also have to verify that the guest OS is configured correctly in the VM's .vmx file.

guestOS = "vmkernel5"

Where do i find that ??

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The number of vCPUs and the guestOS setting I mentioned before are related to the VMware Workstation/Player virtual machine with ESXi as the guest OS. You can find the VM's configuration file (<vmname>.vmx) in the VM's  "Virtual Machines" directory unless you specified another location. Please edit the .vmx file with VMware Player closed to make sure the .vmx file is re-read by the Player before you start the ESXi VM.

With the vCPUs for the ESXi guest set to 2 you will have to reduce the vCPU count for the inner guest "Windows 2008" too. I'm not sure what's causing the BSOD, but maybe it's related to the vCPU count!?

André

0 Kudos
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I changed the vplayer 4 vm of sphere os  to 2 cores.

Still at 6.9gb ram though

Untitled.png

Why would 4 cores cause it to bsod ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As far as I can see this looks ok now. What you may do next is to use the vSphere Client to upload the Windows ISO image to the ESXi "host's" datastore and then attach it to a newly created VM's CD/DVD drive for installation.

If there are still issues with installing the inner Windows guest, then post (attach) the vmware.log files for the ESXi VM as well as for the Windows VM.

André

0 Kudos
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It installed 100%

Why would changing the cpu count to 2 make it work ??

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This was just a guess. Since your host has only 4 cores and you assigned 4 to the ESXi host as well as to the inner guest, I assume this cased kind of an overload which may have caused the issue!?

André

0 Kudos
sesipod
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh okay well thank you fot all your help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sesipod wrote:

It installed 100%

pastedImage_0.png

I can't make out the details of the BSOD from your screen shot.  What was the stop code?

0 Kudos