VMware Cloud Community
oliver_gao
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere home lab hardware--CPU discussion

Hi all ITers,

i am looking for a new intel platform hardware to play some vmware home labs at home.

currently, my home workstation hardware configurations are: intel Xeon E3-1230v3 with 32 GB DDR memory(non-ecc), because of motherboard limit, i can only run 32G memory, so i decide to upgrade my workstation.

my question is, i have checked intel desktop CPU specifications on intel website, and i found that the new intel i7 gen 9 CPUs are all non-hyperthreading supported, at the same time, because of budget, i don't want to purchase an i9 CPU, what i am concerning is about the non-hyperthreading feature.

in my home lab environment, i will run about 8~12 VMs, so the very non-hyperthreading will limit my lab environment buildup???

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Nested Virtualization

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
oliver_gao
Contributor
Contributor

can any vmware experts or professionals give me any suggestions????

0 Kudos
rm_bk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oliver, which CPU did you go with?

williamwbishop
Contributor
Contributor

Why not buy a used 7820 on ebay, throw a couple hundred gigs of ram at it, you can get dual gold xeons on it if you like...and they're cheap

williambishop
Expert
Expert

okay, thats weird

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos