VMware Cloud Community
lucas8804
Contributor
Contributor

vmware player + Xen = VMM fault 14

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to setup Xen 4.0 (with Debian 6.0 as dom0) under vmware player (I just followed this tutorial)

The VM boot normally on debian, but when selecting xen in grub I get the following error message :

*** VMware Player internal monitor error ***

vcpu-0:VMM fault 14: src=MONITOR rip=0xfffffffffc224fa3 regs=0xfffffffffc008e98

I don't really know what to do... As suggested in the error message, I attached the following files to this thread : vmware.log, vmmcores.gz and vmware-vmx-1236.dmp

Please dont hesitate if you need any additionnal information,

Any help would be really really really appreciated Smiley Happy

Thank you in advance !

Lucas

0 Kudos
4 Replies
indicium
Contributor
Contributor

What version of Player are you using?  Nesting Xen wokrs with Workstation 8 or Player 4.

Also read this for Xen:  http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'll look into the error, but you probably won't be able to run Xen as a guest hypervisor on this system.  Xen requires hardware-assisted virtualization, and virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization is only available on systems with nested paging support (Intel EPT or AMD RVI).  Your system does not have EPT support.

0 Kudos
lucas8804
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your two answers.

I am running vmware player 4.0.1, but as you said, the version doesn't seem to be the problem : my CPU actually does not support Intel VT-x 😕

I'll try to run the VM in another computer supporting Intel VT-x, and see if that solves the problem !

0 Kudos
lucas8804
Contributor
Contributor

I confirm that it was because Intel VT-x was not supported by my CPU.

I tried to run the same VM on another computer (this time with VMware Server) and it worked like a charm Smiley Happy

0 Kudos