VMware Cloud Community
lucasmv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

running centOs 6.3 KVM under esxi 5.1

Hi all,

I am trying to run Linux CentOs With KVM under esxi 5.1, Is it possible?

I am trying to load kvm_intel but I receive error.

Thanks

Lucas

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You may need your VM upgraded to Virtual Hardware 9 in order to have the checkbox ungreyed.

Power off the VM, right click on the VM and choose Upgrade Virtual Hardware. That'll put it into Virtual Hardware 9 format.

Then use the web client to check the checkbox for  "expose hardware assisted virtualization to the O/S"

Datto

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Questions:

1) Are you sure your physical ESXi 5.1 host has EPT (Intel) or RVI (AMD) capability -- what's your physical CPU?

2) In your CentOS KVM 6.3 VM under Edit Settings -- what is the virtual NIC being used (is it E1000 or E1000E ) ?

Datto

0 Kudos
lucasmv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

My physical CPU is Intel core i7 3770

The NIC that iam using is vmxnet3.

Thanks

Lucas

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have a look at this doc which spells out how to run other brands of hypervisors under ESXi of various versions.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

Datto

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just booted up CentOS 6.3 with KVM running as a VM under ESXi 5.1a and then ran a 64 bit Win2008 VM on the CentOS 6.3 KVM VM.

So yes, it does work just so you know.

Also, you may want to pay particular attention to this line in that above doc:

Virtualized HV is fully  supported for virtual hardware version 9 VMs on  hosts that support  Intel VT-x and EPT or AMD-V and RVI. To enable  virtualized HV, use the web client and navigate to the processor  settings screen. Check the  box next to  "Expose hardware-assisted  virtualization to the guest operating system."  This setting is not  available under the traditional C# client.

Also, as a suggestion, you may wish to initially create a blank VM for use with CentOS 6.3 KVM using the "Other" OS type (not Linux) and then choose "Other 64 bit" so that the selection for the E1000E virtual NIC is available. Once the blank VM is built and before you power it on for the first time, leave the NIC as a E1000E vNIC and switch the O/S over to Linux with RedHat 6.3 selected. Then install CentOS 6.3 KVM.

Datto

lucasmv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Datto,

I have installed the web client 5.1 in my vcenter server, but the option "Expose hardware-assisted  virtualization to the guest operating system" is disabled.

I saw that my processor supports Vt-x and EPT.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Lucas

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You may need your VM upgraded to Virtual Hardware 9 in order to have the checkbox ungreyed.

Power off the VM, right click on the VM and choose Upgrade Virtual Hardware. That'll put it into Virtual Hardware 9 format.

Then use the web client to check the checkbox for  "expose hardware assisted virtualization to the O/S"

Datto

0 Kudos
lucasmv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Now it worked, I have upgrade the VM Version and added these lines to vmx config.

vhv.enable = TRUE
vcpu.hotadd = FALSE

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
mirasam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you precise what is the difference between using an "e1000" NIC and "e1000e". Because we have network problems with Windows Server 2008. We test KVM under VMware Player with nested virtualization and it's works, but KVM under ESXi 5.1, only Windows Server 2003 and XP works without networking problem, but all new versions of Windows ( We tested 2008 R2 and 2012 ).

We are using KVM with bridging network card.

Regards.

0 Kudos
lucasmv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am using kvm under esxi 5.1, the linux is Centos 6.3, I have four linux CentOs running under KVM, and no problems with networking.

The network adapter for the Centos is VmxNet3, and i have added these two itens in the vmx file:

vhv.enable = TRUE
vcpu.hotadd = FALSE

in atachment there is the vmx file for my Centos.

If you have any doubts, please tell me.

Thanks

Lucas

0 Kudos
mirasam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank's for the reply,

We have no problem with the nested virtualization of KVM under VMware since have upgrade to version 5.1, and we used the Hardware Version 9 with the vSphere Web Client wich is available directly without any modification on the vmx file.

We also have no problems with Linux machines unders KVM, Windows XP and Server 2003, but starting from Windows Vista/Server 2008 and above, weh have network problems, that's why I have asked about the E1000E NIC.

Regards.

0 Kudos