VMware Cloud Community
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

compatibility issue between Microsoft setup and VMware s/w?

I have setup a virtual machine on microsoft cloud and trying to install ESXi on it which is a VMware software.

is it possible?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I'm afraid this is not possible. However, please provide some details about the environment on which you want to setup ESXi, maybe there's a possibility to run ESXi somehow. Please remember that even if this may work, it's most likely nothing you want to use for production purposes.

André

Discussion successfully moved from Enterprise Strategy & Planning to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I am setting it up for learning purpose.

the Virtual machine has WinXP operating system(64-bit). I have some .vmdk files which contain a setup of some software. I would like to install that software on my VM machine. I have installed vmware workstation and VMware player on it but still I am not able to extract vmdk files through it.

thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The .vmdk files are virtual disks which are usually attached to a virtual machine. However, with VMware Workstation you will be able to map the .vmdk file to a local drive (File --> Map virtual disk ...) to access the files directly.

André

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

When I am trying to map a .vmdk file to a drive it showing me below error -

"Error reading volumn information, please select another disk file"

Also, can you please explain(or provide me some document) how do we attach a .vmdk file to a virtual machine?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Do you only have the .vmdk files or do you have the .vmx (configuration) file too? Please post a list of files (dir *.* /oen).

If you only have the .vmdk file(s) you may create a new "Custom" VM using VMware Workstation and instead of creating a new virtual disk in the wizard, select "Use existing disk" to select the one you have.

If you have the .vmx file too, use "File" --> "Open" to add the VM to VMware Workstation.

André

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

I only have .vmdk file.

While trying to add existing .vmdk during Custom installation I am getting below error -

VMware Workstation Unrecoverable error : (vmui)

NOT_REACHED C:/ob/bora-59824/bora/lib/dislib/diskLib.c:7179

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case I'm afraid this could be due to a corrupt .vmdk file ("Error reading volumn information, please select another disk file")

Do you only have a single .vmdk file or multiple files? What's the size of the .vmdk file(s)?

In case of a single extract the first 1,024 bytes of the file and provide them as a attachment in your next reply post. (see http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=47&id=111&artlang=en)

André

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

we have two .vmdk files each having of 1.1 GB.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please provide the first 1,024 bytes for each of them?

André

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

I am new here, so can you please tell me the procedure for "providing the first 1,024 bytes" .

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

Also, When I am trying to map any of the .vmdk file (File --> Map drive) I am getting the error you mentioned in the earlier post ("Error reading volumn information, please select another disk file")

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I am new here, so can you please tell me the procedure for "providing the first 1,024 bytes" .

The link I provided in my previous post contains the description and samples for how to extract the data and also contains a link from where you can download the required tool. Once extracted, add the files to your reply post as attachments (see button below the edit box).

André

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I have run the below command -

dsfo C:\dsfok\BSM2011-02-CALFS-01-DB-c-disk1.vmdk 512 1024 C:\desc.txt

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=af6acc99
parentCID=ffffffff
createType="streamOptimized"

# Extent description
RDONLY 83886080 SPARSE "generated-stream.vmdk"

# The Disk Data Base
#DDB

ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.geometry.biosCylinders = "5221"
ddb.geometry.biosHeads = "255"
ddb.geometry.biosSectors = "63"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "5221"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.longContentID = "fc8a51e1ae11b083732eeeb1cbc24bd9"
ddb.toolsVersion = "7303"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "4"

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Where did you get the files from? The header information (createType="streamOptimized", RDONLY) looks like this .vmdk file is part of an OVF export and you need the .ovf file to re-import the VM!?

André

0 Kudos
Dhananjay_S
Contributor
Contributor

we have .ovf file with us. what do we need to re-import the VM?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From the "File" menu select "Open..." and pick "Open Virtual Machine Formats" from the open dialog's drop down list.

André

0 Kudos