VMware Cloud Community
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware ESXI within Hyper-v (server 2012) networking issue

I am trying to get esxi running within hyper-v and it won't recognize the virtual switch even though I got it setup properly and it works with any other VMs on this system.

http://i.imgur.com/4rCA3.png

Hyper-V-Virtual-Switch-Issue-421.PNG

I only have one NIC but it works fine with other VMs.

191 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting.  Can you configure a virtual serial port for the ESXi VM under Hyper-V?  The message in red may be emitted to the serial port.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

To what end?  Do you want to try and capture the message somewhere?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, if you can direct the virtual serial port to a file, I'd like to know what the message is.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

I've never configured a serial port in Hyper-V before and it appears that the only option available is to redirect it to a named pipe.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

BertP wrote:

Thanks for the reply but I should have explained that I tried that already.  The first time, I gave the ESX VM 4 CPUs.  When I rebooted it, it got to the point that it was initializing the scheduler and the screen greyed out followed by a reboot.

Here's a long shot...

After the installation is complete, and ESXi starts to reboot, press shift-O to edit the boot options.

Add hyperthreading=false to the end of the command line and press enter.

See if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

But, the installation never completes.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Just add the option everywhere that you are given the opportunity to press 'shift-O'.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I didn't see anywhere that said that I could hit shift-O but on the boot screen, there is an 8 or 9 secod delay before booting from the CD and it says to hit Tab to change boot options. When I do, the command listed is "mboot.c32 -c boot.cfg".  I added the "hyperthreading=false" to the end of that line but it didn't make any difference 😞

Bert

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I found the place to hit shift-O (I wasn't looking in ghte right place) but adding the switch didn't make any difference.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How much memory did you give your VM?

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

4G

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

I finally caught the error message but it isn't much.  It says "Logs are stored on non-persistant storage.  Consult product documentation to configure a syslog server or a scratch  partition".

I also just tried to install VMware on another processor: AMD FX-6100.  Same result.

One more processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+.  Same result.  Different error message, though.  I'll see if I can capture it as well.

The error on the Athlon is: "CacheSched: 931: The measured L2 cache miss cost 26 is not within the expected range, using 40 instead"  This is followed by the same error about the logs.

0 Kudos
Midus
Contributor
Contributor

Suspect ESXi detected that it's booting from removable storage hence the error: "Logs are stored on non-persistant storage.  Consult product documentation to configure a syslog server or a scratch  partition"

How are you disks configured at the Hyper-V layer?

www.midus-fx.com
0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

The Hyper-V disks are just standard expanding ("thin" in VMware parlance) disks.  I have dine nothing special to the VM I am trying to install ESXi in.

I hope to borrow an Intel based computer today that I can install Windows 2012 on and do this experiment over again just to see if it is a CPU issue.

Bert

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Now, this is interesting.  I just installed Windows 2012 on an Intel box (Lenovo - VMware reports an Intel Core i5 CPU 650) and installed the Hyper-V role.  The first time I tried to install ESXi as a VM, it failed with the same error I have been getting all along.  So, I increased the number of logical CPUs to 2 and retried.  ESXi is installing as I type this with no problem.  It did report a warning that the CPU does not support virtualization but at least it is installing.

Bert

0 Kudos
Midus
Contributor
Contributor

The SATA chipset for the AMD box vs the Intel box?

www.midus-fx.com
0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

But, it complains about CPU cores.  It doesn't seem to have a problem with the storage...

0 Kudos
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

Like I said... I had no problems installing on my Core i5 3570K with 2 logical CPUs in Hyper-v.

0 Kudos
BertP
Contributor
Contributor

Have you been able to create VMs in ESX?

0 Kudos
remixedcat
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but having issues activating windows 8. Internet works though. Also the VM is seen in my active clients list on my router.

0 Kudos