VMware Cloud Community
acaesar
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.

I am trying to run VMWare Fusion with Windows Server 2012 on a host mac, but when I startup I get this error message, "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform." I looked at some other discussions, and edited my vmx file. However, when i try to start up, I get the "Dictionary problem" error.

Here are my computer spec. And I have also attached the log.

2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Thanks.

5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you planning on running more virtual machines inside your Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine?  In order to "nest" virtual machines like that, you'd need to use Hyper-V or VMware Workstation or Oracle Virtualbox on Windows Server 2012 R2.  You've posted in the "Nested Virtualization" part of the forums, so it sounds like you might intend to do so, but you don't explicitly mention as such, so I figured it was worth checking in case there is a misunderstanding.

If you plan to "nest" virtual machines like that, you'll need to upgrade your host to a newer CPU.  Your Penryn/Harpertown Core 2 Duo processor lacks the Extended Page Table (EPT) capability required by VMware's virtualization engine in order to support nested virtualization (virtualized VT-x).  There is no configuration option you can use to work around the lacking CPU feature... your only options are to move to a newer CPU or to drop your requirement for nested virtualization.

If you do not intend to nest virtual machines inside your Windows Server 2012 R2 virtual machine, you can disable nested virtualization in Virtual Machine > Settings..., choose the Processors and Memory category, expand Advanced Options at the bottom of the window, and untick Enable hypervisor applications in this virtual machine.  That should allow the virtual machine to power on without the warning that you're receiving.

Cheers,

--

Darius

acaesar
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I was trying to run the Hyper V role inside of windows server 2012. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yeah, it's time to upgrade to a newer host CPU if you want to run Hyper-V inside the VM.  Bad news... sorry.  Smiley Sad

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
djsalman143
Contributor
Contributor

@dariusd i m usinng  Intel Xeon X5460 / 3.16 GHz dual processor i have problem i try to run gns3vm on esxi error show vtx not available how to fix it please help

0 Kudos
Blademan7
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I want to confirm that my trusty old Mac Pro would support this feature in VMWare Fusion for Mac. CPUs are Intel Xeon X5680 Westmere. According to this page, the CPUs support:

• Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)
  • Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
  • Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)
0 Kudos