VMware Cloud Community
GBanin
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualization Intel VT-xEPT it not supported on this plataform.

I currently have one of Dell's most powerful notebook, an E7300 latitude with Intel i7-8665U processor, 32 GB of memory and 512 SSD disk.

I bought the latest version 16 of VMWare Workstation to run on this machine with Windows 10 Pro. I need to install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2019 Virtual Machine with Nested Virtualization.

All BIOS virtualization options are already enabled. I mark the option "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" in the VM processor properties. But when trying to connect the virtual machine I get the following message :

"Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this plataform. Continue without virtualized Intel VT-xEPT?

I can't believe this machine doesn't support this.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I think the Windows 10 Professional in your host laptop has Hyper-V enabled and VMware Workstation 16.x is thus using the User Level Monitor (ULM) instead of the root VMM.

https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/vmware-workstation-now-supports-hyper-v-mode.html

You should turn off the Hyper-V feature at the host OS and the root VMM will be used and nested virtualisation for Workstation Pro should work like it has before even version 16.

Polariz
Contributor
Contributor

I also have this issue.

My specific circumstances are Workstation 16 on Windows 10 Pro with WSL2 enabled (which I need, so can't disable Hyper-V).

I then want to run nested virtual machines using ESXi 6.5 through Workstation and I get a warning that the EPT feature on the CPU is not allowed to be enabled or not supported. If I disable it on the CPU tab of the VM, ESXi virtual machine does install but I am only allowed to have 32bit VMs that are nested.

The article you posted seemed a bit confusing - is it saying that if you had Hyper-V enabled in situations where prior to WS 15.5 you couldn't have Workststion installed/working whatsoever, but now you can - but the caveat being that you can't do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks!

Michael.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Yes, prior to version 15.5.5 and 16, Workstation Pro/Player would not run with Hyper-V installed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/application-management/virtualization-a...

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146361

But it looks like this situation is you can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Polariz
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed - it seems so. Do love a bit of cake though.

Thanks for the reply - I can probably get round this by not nesting. Cheers.

0 Kudos
hunk1989
Contributor
Contributor

Spoiler

I have Lenovo X1 Extreme with Intel i7-9750H processor, 32 GB memory and 512 SSD Disk.

I had the same issue and after spending few hour and troubleshooting, I managed to resolve this issue.

Step 1

Enable your Virtualization 

Dell.jpg

Step 2 - Turn off Hyper V and untick Virtual Machine Platform in Windows 10 Host Machine

Turn off.JPG

Step 3 - Type command in PowerShell (Runs as Admin)

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Powershell.JPG

 Step 4 - VMware Workstation Pro 16

Tick Mark - Virtualize Intel VT-x/PT

Hyper 1.JPG

 Step 6 - MOST IMPORTANT

Option - Version need to Hyper- V (unsupported)

Hyper V.JPG

 Once you installed Hyper V, Restart the Virtual Server. Then you will see Hyper V in Tools. 

Good Lucj

0 Kudos
hunk1989
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Also Last step is to Disable Turn on virtualization Based Security

Go to Local Group Policy Editor, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, Device Gaurd

Disable Turn On Virtualization Based Security.

Group Policy.JPG

0 Kudos
hariprasad27
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Even after doing all these things, still i am facing same issue. Did i miss anything?

0 Kudos
hariprasad27
Contributor
Contributor

I am also using Lenovo X1 and i tried all the options still i am not able use it. BTW i am trying to install EVE-NG vm which is linux based

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Vishal32
Contributor
Contributor

I am unsing lenovo Thinkpad i7. Still having the same problem installing eve-ng on Vmware 16 Pro. 

Tried with all the steps in this thread. 

Can someone help me with the Fix? 

0 Kudos
Vishal32
Contributor
Contributor

The issue got fixed after turning on -  'Windows subsystem for Linux' feature from 'Turn Windows features on or off' & installing WSL 2 software.

0 Kudos
BizMac
Contributor
Contributor

thanks very much hunk1989

Your  solution worked for me 🙂

Dell 5810  Windows 10 Pro , Vmware workstation 16,  ESXI 7,

I did not need to do "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off"

thanks very 

BizMAc 

0 Kudos
dctek
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried every single suggestion still run into the same error

0 Kudos
pnirajan228
Contributor
Contributor

Go to the vmware workstation -Maximize the player and under Manager click Virtual Machine Settings. 
Click the Processor in the left hand side of the screen and untick the "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" as per indicated in figure attached herewith . 

Restart the virtual machine for the smooth run .

0 Kudos
mathew_rimmo
Contributor
Contributor

I tried all of the steps described here and found none of it made a difference. The thing I was missing was:

Windows Security -> Device Security -> Core Isolation

Turn off memory integrity.

Some details about it here before you switch it off: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/device-protection-in-windows-security-afa11526-de57-b1c5...

hubi97
Contributor
Contributor

I fought this error for 2 hours!!! Thank you, it worked like a charm.

0 Kudos