VMware Cloud Community
TcrUk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation 10 - Nested ESXi5 -PXE TFTP Timeout After DHCP Received.

Hi Guys,

I've been searching through for similar reports but unable to find any thus far.. hence the post..

I have VMW 10 running on a core i7 lappy, with 3 hosts all connected up using the host only (vmnet1)  network.  This works fine.

Hosts are:  PXE build/cobbler server, a Win 2k8 R2 solely for Vsphere client, and the other, as you've probably guessed is an ESXi5 host (built via PXE from the cobbler server)

Now adding a virtual machine on the ESXi host, the PXE boot process gets the correct dhcp address from the build server, but then an ARP timeout whilst trying to tftp the pxelinux.-0 file.

A TCP dump on both sides of the vswitch shows the ARP request being made, and replies sent by the build box, but never arriving on the vm side of the vswitch.

I've enabled the vswitch promiscuous, forged transmits on vswitch0, tried different nic types - all to no avail.

The vswitch0 also carries management traffic (vmk0), and a test virtual can ping this address when booted from a live iso, but get out no further.

Any known solutions or suggestions?  I must be missing something 😃

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TcrUk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Never mind 😃  I revisited this after some FF XIV.  Apologies for wasting your time -

VMware KB: Using Virtual Ethernet Adapters in Promiscuous Mode on a Linux Host

Simply set that up for the user you are running Workstation as. 

Cheers,

Chris.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TcrUk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Never mind 😃  I revisited this after some FF XIV.  Apologies for wasting your time -

VMware KB: Using Virtual Ethernet Adapters in Promiscuous Mode on a Linux Host

Simply set that up for the user you are running Workstation as. 

Cheers,

Chris.

0 Kudos