VMware Cloud Community
apacienza
Contributor
Contributor

VM can get IP from Gateway but can't ping gateway

Hey guys I am hoping someone can help me. I am going through the CBT Nuggets VMware learning and I built a lab in VMware Workstation 16 Pro. The network adapter is bridged. in Vmware Workstation I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain controller with DNS, I am not using DHCP on the server. I am getting DHCP from my comcast router. I also have an ESXi 7 host and Vcenter appliance running as a VM inside Workstation. My Windows 2019 Server, ESXI host and Vcenter appliance can all get IP's from my comcast router and can ping the internet without issue. When I create a VM inside my ESXi host it can also receive an IP from my comcast router. If i do Ipconfig on the VM which is Windows 10 Pro I can see my IP, Comcast DNS and gateway which is the router but the VM can't ping the gateway and cant reach the internet. I CAN ping the ESXi host but thats it. Is there a service I need to turn on or di i need to unblock internet traffic somewhere. I have looked everywhere and can't find why this is happening. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
apacienza
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

0 Kudos
apacienza
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

0 Kudos
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI , 

I guess you have created  VM network created on vSwitch of  esxi host and you are assigning that to the VM . If that is correct then you will have to trunk the network port (vmnic) which is passing this traffic . If your router cannot handle vLAN then assign the default vLan 0 to the VMnetwork . 

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Solution Provided" "Correct" or "Helpful".

Thanks , 

pashnal 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In case of a nested setup like this, you may want to enable "Promiscuous Mode" on the VM portgroup to which the nested VM is connected. That's because a Standard vSwitch does not learn MAC addresses.

André

0 Kudos
apacienza
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I tried your suggestion of enabling Promisc mode but it didnt help. 

0 Kudos
apacienza
Contributor
Contributor

I tired enabling Promisc mode but it didnt help. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
apacienza
Contributor
Contributor

How would I do this? 

0 Kudos