VMware Cloud Community
blassiter23
Contributor
Contributor

VLANs in Nested ESXi Servers

In my lab environment, I have an ESXi 6 host and 2 ESXi 6 nested servers that are working with VLANs set up on a physical switch.

Host vSwitch is configured on VLAN 4095 for vmKernel and VM port group.

Nested Guest #1 has its vSwitch configured on VLAN 4095 for vmKernel, and I have multiple port groups for the various VLANs that are configured on the physical switch. (180-Management, 181-Application, 196-Provisioning, etc.)

Nested Guest #1 and Guest #2 has its vSwitch configured on VLAN 4095 for vmKernel, and I have multiple port groups for the various VLANs that are configured on the physical switch. (280-Management, 281-Application, 296-Provisioning, etc.)

Here is the hurdle I am having difficulty getting over. I need to set up 6 more servers just like this one with the same VLAN configuration connected to he same switch. Since you cannot have duplicate VLAN numbers in the same physical switch, I am looking for suggestions.

Is it possible to not have the VLANs configured in the physical switch and use virtual switches or an appliance to simulate the physical switch?

Really would appreciate any suggestions.

0 Kudos
0 Replies