VMware Cloud Community
testman1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The supportance for the host of nested esxi guests.

Hello,

I'm going to deploy nested esxi guest today and had read an article:

Support for running ESXi/ESX as a nested virtualization solution (2009916) | VMware KB

I understand vmware doesn't support nested ESXi guests, However, This document does not clearly described about the host ( In other words, "vhv.enabled = true" would turn off the supported  state of the esxi host ), this is the question. may I get your help?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Guests on the ESXi guest  | <-- Unsupported. -- > Means Installing ESXi on vmware workstation/fusion for home testing purpose. You are not supported

type1 hypervisor[Nested ESXi] | <-- Unsupported. --> Install ESXi inside an ESXi, then install & configure VMs on that inside ESXi hosts, not supported.

type1 hypervisor[ESXi host]    | --> Yes. You are supported. If your are installing licensed ESXi on recommended Hardware. Refer recommended h/w list,

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini

View solution in original post

5 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

VMware does not support nested ESXi guest is a matter of policy; not a matter of technological possibility. You can run an ESXi within an ESXi as VM.

vhv.enabled = "true" set the vmx configuration file of an ESXi will allow the ESXi VM to support virtualisation within it.

If you haven't seen/read this Running Nested VMs , you should read that.

0 Kudos
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

You are correct, VMware will not support Nested ESXi.  The meaning of "vhv.enabled = true"

Nested virtualization is when you run guest hypervisor, like ESXi 5 or later version, inside a virtual machine(VM) instead that on real physical server hardware. This will require hardware-assisted virtualization (HV) for 64-bit capable system and CPU. Because of the we enabling vhv.enabled = true.  Refer the below

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-support-for-nested-64bit.html   ..

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Thanks, Srini
0 Kudos
testman1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for quick response.

maybe I know that.

Let me rephrase:

Guests on the ESXi guest        | <-- Unsupported.

type1 hypervisor[Nested ESXi]| <-- Unsupported.

type1 hypervisor[ESXi host]     | <--- I want to ask you whether it'll be supported or not.

Hardware                                  |

Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos
vasan22in
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Guests on the ESXi guest  | <-- Unsupported. -- > Means Installing ESXi on vmware workstation/fusion for home testing purpose. You are not supported

type1 hypervisor[Nested ESXi] | <-- Unsupported. --> Install ESXi inside an ESXi, then install & configure VMs on that inside ESXi hosts, not supported.

type1 hypervisor[ESXi host]    | --> Yes. You are supported. If your are installing licensed ESXi on recommended Hardware. Refer recommended h/w list,

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

testman1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks vasan22in

it really helpful to me.

solved. thanks again.

0 Kudos