VMware Cloud Community
ChevUribe
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Standard Networking

Hello,

I just to ask question.

We have a ESXi 5.1 server setup that is connecting to a 172.69.12.xxx network.

Now I tried to a test environment inside that ESXi host.

I have 4 ESXi hosts (nested), 1 AD-DNS-DHCP server, 1 vCenter server and 1 SSO/Inventory server which are all in a 192.168.20.xxx network (my AD network)

I can ping the machines and can join the domain.

Note: vmnics IP range is in the 172.69.12.xxx when checked in the network adapters poperties

Now I tried the 4 hosts to be added in my created vCenter and tried to create virtual machine (successful)

My problem is the VMs are able to obtain IP (192.168.20.xxx) from the DHCP server but I can't be able to ping the AD server (vice versa). I can only ping the hosts.

It seems that my ESXi hosts is preventing them to communicate.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order for nested VM's to receive traffic, you may need to set "Promiscuous Mode" to "Accept" on the host's port group to which you attached the virtual ESXi hosts.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Note: Discussion successfully moved from vSphere noobs to Nested Virtualization

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In order for nested VM's to receive traffic, you may need to set "Promiscuous Mode" to "Accept" on the host's port group to which you attached the virtual ESXi hosts.

André

0 Kudos
TommyFreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are trig to reach to diff IP range.

So You have to NAT one range IP address to other or you have to route two different IP range.

Take care!

0 Kudos