VMware Cloud Community
TonyNguyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Server 2012 Hyper-V under ESXi 5.x??

Is it possible to run Server 2012 Hyper-V under ESXi 5.x?

I understand that Server 2012 Hyper-V is a Type 1 Hypevisor but nested ESXi is a Type 1 inside a Type 1. Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, it is possible, though unsupported.  For ESXi 5.0, see javascript:;.  For ESXi 5.1, you can't select Hyper-V as the guest OS type when you create a VM, but I believe that the C# client allows you to edit the guest OS type of an existing VM and change it to Hyper-V.  If so, that should suffice.

0 Kudos
emma234
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  TonyNguyen ,

Welcome to communites.

Yes you can do that ,If you have start implementaion and facing any problem plese let us know.

"He Conquers, Who Conquers Himself."
0 Kudos
TonyNguyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JMatt,

Thanks for the reply.

The OS selection type matters? I thought the reason for choosing 2008R2, 2012, Linux, sets some things like recommended guest memory and best scsi adapter,etc type right?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand what you are referring to when you mean use the C# client to edit the guest OS type?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

TonyNguyen wrote:

Hi JMatt,

Thanks for the reply.

The OS selection type matters? I thought the reason for choosing 2008R2, 2012, Linux, sets some things like recommended guest memory and best scsi adapter,etc type right?

Yes, the OS selection matters.  Selecting Hyper-V will, among other things, prevent ESXi from reporting that the virtual CPU is running under a hypervisor.  If you don't do this, Hyper-V will refuse to run nested guests.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't understand what you are referring to when you mean use the C# client to edit the guest OS type?

I mean that you can't use the new web client.   It doesn't allow you to edit guest OS type.

0 Kudos
TonyNguyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JMatt,

I was able to find the "Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS" setting under the web client.

However, I am unable to change the Guest OS and Guest OS Version in the Web Client. I think you mentioned this by design.

I could not find Hyper-V as an option though in the traditional client as well. I searched through Windows and Other OS. The closest thing I could find is VMware ESXi 5.x (experimental)

Thanks

Tony

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In that case, just follow the instructions in javascript:;.

0 Kudos
TonyNguyen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JMatt,

Sorry for so many questions. I've read through the link and it doesn't have much on 5.1 other than needing to enable the "Expose Hardware Assisted Virtualization". If I can't select Hyper-V as a guest OS type, do I just choose Windows Server 2012?

The article below says it can be run under ESX 5.0 but it doesn't have specifics on which OS type to select.

Thanks!

---

Hyper-V

Hyper-V requires hardware-assisted virtualization, so it can only be run under ESXi 5.0, Workstation 8, Player 4 or Fusion 4 (or later). Hyper-V performs relatively poorly as a guest hypervisor under ESXi 5.0, but it performs reasonably well under Workstation 8, Player 4 or Fusion 4 (or later).

Under Workstation 9, Player 5 or Fusion 5, you should set the guest OS type to "Hyper-V."

Under older products, Hyper-V requires the following additional configuration option for the outer guest:

hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = FALSE

Without this option, launching a nested VM under Hyper-V R2 will fail with the following error:

Failed to create partition: Unspecified error (0x80004005) 

Without this option, Hyper-V R3 will refuse to install, claiming:

Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already running.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, Windows Server 2012 should be fine.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos