VMware Cloud Community
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

Not possible to install vmware player 4 on a windows server 2008r2 vm ?

We rent a virtual Server Windows  2008r2 enterprise for testing purposes. We would like to install vm  player 4 or vm server 2.0.2 on it.

The Server 2008r2 enterprise  resides on parallels. so far we had no luck with it. Is it generally  possible to install the vmware player 4 or the vmware server 2.0.2 on a  vm ?

i would be very thankful for some information, thank you in advance

daniel

0 Kudos
15 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

installing VMplayer 4 inside a VM is no problem.

set
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "true"
in the vmx-file.

That obviously applies only to VMware VMs.

If you want to install VMplayer or VMserver inside a Parallels VM - what exactly is the problem ?

0 Kudos
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thank you for your response. installation of the player 4 fails with "vmwarevmcisockets64.msi failed" (see attached pic).

when trying to install server 2.0.2 there is no errormessage, while installing it ends up with a rollback. it only creates folders for tomcat.

it seems that vm services are blocked during installation (there are msgs in the event log "driver has been blocked from loading").

thank you

daniel

0 Kudos
mutanten
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem on my Win7 prof 64 system. I can't install any VM product. Previously I had VMWare player 4 installed and after a Win update it stops working. I removed it and tried to reinstall but it will not work. I tried a lot of things, removed all win updates, cleaned the regestry from all VMware things, but nothing helps. I tried to install player ver 3 but did also not work. I tried to install it when less win drivers etc. are started with msconfig and the installation starts but at the end I get the same massage as daniel. At the moment I get no message any more. When I start now the setup, nothing happens. I can'f find anything in the win event log. Attache the log.

I hpe anybody can help, Michael

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

nothing happens ?
not even a blank screen pops up ?

sounds like the fix-camera.exex problem

check if you have a process named fixcamera.exe running - if yes - kill it - thats uglyware

I still do not know if you really have the same problem - this post is about installing VMplayer INSIDE a VM

0 Kudos
mutanten
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

you are the best, I killed that process and it works. It was not the same problem but with the same massage.

Thanks for your help, now Iam happy again.

Regards, Michael

0 Kudos
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

thank you. there is no "fix-camera" process on my macvhine, i looked at it as you describe it in your blog.

i tried all the things from your description step by step, but no luck.

maybe the problem is the server itself, its a server 2008r2 enterprise edition (no update, no service pack),

updates are disabled, so i even cannot make an update to the msi installer as mentioned in other threads.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

one of your screenshot says a service is blocked ?
do I guess right that you use one of this "cripple my system"-suites ?

I still do not know wether you install VMplayer inside a Parallels VM or not

0 Kudos
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It's a parallels host of upc as provider and the rented vm is a server 2008r2 enterprise.

we didn't install anything prior to the vmware products. the blocked service event occurs while trying to install

vmware server 2.0.2. when installing vmware player 4 the "vmwarevmcisockets64.msi failed" error occours.

Thank you for your effort

daniel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you try an unattended install of vmplayer ?
have a look at similar posts - the syntax has been posted recently

0 Kudos
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

yes, i tried. the difference is that no error window appears, but in the log there is the entry:

20111030194828:INFO    GetSetting: Read setting 'action', value 'install'
20111030194828:INFO    CPackageManager::GetFile: VMwareVmciSockets64.msi
20111030194828:INFO    CMSIHelper::InitMsiParameters: Raw MSI Properties from the command line:
20111030194828:INFO    CMSIHelper::InitMsiParameters: MSI Parameters:
20111030194828:INFO    CMSIHelper::InitMsiLogging: Successfully enabled logging to file c:\tmp\2\vmsetup.20111030194820.vmwarevmcisockets64.msi.install.log, with mode 7967
20111030194828:INFO    CInstallMSIOperation::Execute: Preparing to install VMwareVmciSockets64.msi, options: uninstall_on_rollback: 1, use_internal_ui: 0, parameters:
20111030194831:INFO    CInstallMSIOperation::Execute: Finished installing msi [1603]
20111030194831:ERROR** CBootstrapCmd::RunOperation: Operation 'InstallMSI' failed!
20111030194831:INFO    wWinMain:Checking exceptions [26]
20111030194831:INFO    wWinMain:Handle error
20111030194831:INFO    HandleError: Handling error: [26] lang [1033]
20111030194831:ERROR** HandleError: Encountered fatal error id: 26
20111030194831:ERROR** HandleError:   Message: [The MSI 'c:\tmp\2\vmware_1320000501\vmwarevmcisockets64.msi' failed.]
20111030194831:ERROR** ================================================================================
20111030194831:ERROR**   Rolling Back - ops:21
20111030194831:ERROR** ----------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if i remember right that silent install script has a remove-section
maybe you try to remove VMCI ?

0 Kudos
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

tried to remove "network" but no luck. Smiley Sad

tried this with unpacked inst. files:

msiexec -i "<InstallTempPath>\VMware Player.msi" ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=Network /qn

regards

daniel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

why did you try to remove network ? - that has nothing to do with VMCI

anyway - I tried to find a cmd that skips VMCI but have no luck yet Smiley Sad

I would try VMplayer 3.1.5 instead

0 Kudos
dnovotny
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i got the information from my provider that it is generally not possible to install a vitualization host on another one.

(in this case vmware player/server on a virtualized server 2008R2 based on a parallels host.)

so this question can be closed. thank you for your effort.

regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

dnovotny wrote:

i got the information from my provider that it is generally not possible to install a vitualization host on another one.

(in this case vmware player/server on a virtualized server 2008R2 based on a parallels host.)

You can install VMware Player on a Windows Server 2008R2 VM hosted by another VMware product or by Hyper-V (with SLAT).  This sounds like a Parallels bug to me.

0 Kudos