VMware Cloud Community
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not getting DHCP on VM Network within Nested ESXi 5 Servers

Hi again.

I am making headway on this thanks to the great help of people in this forum.  I now have 2 Nested ESXi 5 hosts, INCP-ESXi1 and INCP-ESXi2.  I am also able to power on a 64 bit OS.  The issue now is that the Virtual Machine, thatis runningon the nested ESXi 5 host does not get any network connections.

On my physical ESXi host, my networking is configured as follows.

vmnic0 and vmnic4 are in Standard vSwitch0 with a port group named Management Network.  This is, of couse the redundant management network.

vmnic2 and vmnic3 are in Standard vSwitch1 with 3 port groups.  192.168.105.x which has the corresponding IP range, 192.168.104.x which had the corresponding IP range and VM Network wich has an ip rage of 192.168.1.x.  This is used for differnt types of Virtual Machine Traffic.  Promiscuouis Mode had been enabled on this.

vmnic1 is in Standard vSwitch2 with a port Group of iSCSI.  This is used for software iSCSI access to network LUNs

vmnic5 is in Standard vSwitch3 with a port Group of VMware iSCSI.  This is used for the virtual ESXi hosts to access the iSCSI LUNs.  This network connection has been put in promiscous mode.

On the virtal ESXi hosts the networking is conigured as folows.

vmnic0 is in Standard vSwitch 0 with a port group named Management Network.  Used for VMware Managemenet.  The "physical" side of this nic Corresponds with Port Group 192.168.105.x and Standard vSwitch1 in the physical world

vmnic1 is in Standard vSwitch1 with a port group named iSCSI.  This is used for software iSCSI access to network LUNs.  The "physical" side of this nic corresponds with Port Group VM iSCSI and Stnadard vSwitch3.  This is working and I can see the LUNs.

vmnic2 is in Standard vSwitch2 with a port group named VM Network.  This is used for virtual, virtual machine traffic.  The "Physical" side of this nic corresponds with the Port Group 192.168.104.x and Standard vSwitch1 in the physical world.  This is where my problem lies.

I know that the "Physical" Port Group 192.168.104.x works because I changed the vmnic0 on the Virtual ESXi Server to use this port group and it got a correct DHCP address.  So this means that the problem is somewhere when this gets fed into the second Virtual switch. 

I hope this is clear:-)  As always your help is greatly apreciated.  I am so close to getting this section of my lab up.

1 Reply
TdisalvoOrinoco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would like to take a moment to remind, everyone who runs into a wall.  Stop, come back to it in an hour or so:-)

My particular issue was due to the fact that I did not install VMware tools, and I was using a VMX3 adapter.  It is so obvious I over looked it time and time again.

I hope this post will help someone else:-)