Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not able to install sbs2k8 64 bit in workstations7

it says this host doesnot support VT .

my sytem details and configurations are as below:

CPU - Intel(R) core(TM) i5 M450 2.4gb

RAM - 4 gb

OS - Win 7 ult 64

I have installed workstations 7 and created VM with esxi 4.1. Inside this esxi host am trying to create vm with OS sbs2k8 64.

Please suggest. My system shows VT enable in BIOS, Upgraded all latest system device drivers.

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi and welcome
please attach - not paste - the latest vmware.log from that VM so that we can check

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The virtual CPU does not support VT.  Workstation 7 does not virtualize VT.  You will need to upgrade to Workstation 8 or Player 4 for virtualized VT support.

Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your response!

PFA error snapshot and logs file.

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have license for workstations7, so is upgrading to workstations 8 free?

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Inside this esxi host am trying to create vm with OS sbs2k8 64.

As mentioned by jmattson it's not possible to run nested 64 bit guests with WS7.

If this is a test environment and you are trying to setup vCenter Server, install it directly as a VM on VMware Workstation.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Gotzu wrote:

i have license for workstations7, so is upgrading to workstations 8 free?

No.  Workstation 8 is a paid upgrade.  As André says, you can also install sbs2k8 directly under Workstation 7, instead of nested under an ESXi VM.

0 Kudos
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes i want to install vcenter and have two host, want to move machines usig vmotion, ha, drs etc. i think i'll have to live with 32 bit os then.

Anyway thanks a lot for your response.

Smiley Happy

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

...i think i'll have to live with 32 bit os then.

Two things:

• vCenter Server 4.1 requires a 64-bit Windows OS
  • vCenter Server cannot be installed on a domain controller (SBS is usually used as a DC)

André

Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you are right, actually by installing sbs2k8 I was planning few other testing in addition to vcentre. As you mentioned before, am going for 64 os directly on workstation. I have vcenter 5 to be installed on win 2k3 64 bit now. This is test environment.

Sent from BSNL with my BlackBerry® smartphone

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos