VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Nested virtualization requirements

I an trying to implement nested virtualization in a vSphere 5.x environment with 2 ESXi 5.0 nodes.

I created a Windows 8 VM, installed VMware Player inside the VM and attempted to run the VM, but I get the message "Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You may not power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured.".

Maybe I made some mistake, so I will try again.

However, what are the requirements to implement nested virtualization in an ESXi 5.0 host member of a vSphere 5 infrastructure?

Is there any version requirement?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Marius - Roma wrote:

I an trying to implement nested virtualization in a vSphere 5.x environment with 2 ESXi 5.0 nodes.

I created a Windows 8 VM, installed VMware Player inside the VM and attempted to run the VM, but I get the message "Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You may not power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured.".

I think there is something missing from your description.  You created a Windows 8 VM, powered it on, and installed VM player inside the VM.  Presumably, you then configured a VM under VMware Player and attempted to run it.  What was the VM you configured under VMware Player?  ESX?

0 Kudos