VMware Cloud Community
Omid_Heravi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nested Virtualization

Hi Guys,

Is there any security issue for my infrastructure to provide Nested Virtualization for my customer's VM?

Please advice me in this regard

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Afaik there are no security issues related to nested virtualization but it is NOT SUPPORTED for production environments. So personally I would not use it at a customer site. Maybe for a small test environment but definitely not for production.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Afaik there are no security issues related to nested virtualization but it is NOT SUPPORTED for production environments. So personally I would not use it at a customer site. Maybe for a small test environment but definitely not for production.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to Nested Virtualization

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is there a specific reason you want to run nested virtualization and not just run the VM in your existing environment?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
0 Kudos
Omid_Heravi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some customer needs to run apps that needed nested VM ...

I want to know is there any issue ( security or any ) to provide nested VM for customer ? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Omid_Heravi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Some customers need to run apps that needed nested VM.

so you don't advice this feature for Production Environment?

0 Kudos
T180985
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Its one of those things thats technically possible but completely unsupported. Its not recommended for any production environments

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue. How to post effectively on VMTN https://communities.vmware.com/people/daphnissov/blog/2018/12/05/how-to-ask-for-help-on-tech-forums
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That's what I said...

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If they truly need to run virtual machines, they probably shouldn't be virtualized in the first point. Its mainly desktops in general that have reasons to run vms as part of the app, in general server apps don't. As someone that uses nested virtualization regulary don't do it outside of a lab, wierd things can happen and isn't worth the headache.

DustinCour
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you clarify 'not supported for production environments'?  VMware publishes ESXi nested virtualization as non-supported, but that's all I'm able to find. Is there support article you're aware of?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What are you looking for? You kinda answered your own question

Can you clarify 'not supported for production environments'?  VMware publishes ESXi nested virtualization as non-supported,     

they've never published anything more specific then that I've seen

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMware Knowledge Base

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos