VMware Cloud Community
IgorPodgorny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nested VMware Workstation and 64 bit guests.

I've found a lot of information on nested ESXi but nothing helpful on Workstation. ESXi instructions don't really work with the set up I'm trying to achieve for unknown to me reason.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

Guest x64 bit (Win7, Linux, any other OS)

|

VMware Workstation 10

|

Windows 7 x64 Virtual Desktop

|

vSphere 5.5 Ent Plus

|

Dell PowerEdge R720 with all the

Virtualization things enabled.

We will be deploying VDI in the near future and I would like to provide users who have and use Workstation software with Virtual Desktop almost identical to their current desktop.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

Running their VMs in vSphere and giving them access to that and ditching Workstation isn't an option, or connecting workstation to vSphere.

I added vhv.allow = "TRUE" to VMware config and restarted host without any success.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using the web client, navigate to the processor settings screen for the outer Windows 7 guest. Check the box next to "Expose hardware-assisted virtualization to the guest operating system."  The guest must be powered off when you make this change.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Using the web client, navigate to the processor settings screen for the outer Windows 7 guest. Check the box next to "Expose hardware-assisted virtualization to the guest operating system."  The guest must be powered off when you make this change.

0 Kudos
IgorPodgorny
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much. That was easier than I thought. The setting isn't present in desktop client. I guess I'll have to start using web client a lot moreSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I did forget to mention that this setting is only available for virtual hardware version 9 and later.

0 Kudos
spersels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please forgive me if I'm being a bit thick... I'm not aware of a "web client" for Workstation, and I've scoured the "thick client" for the option mentioned below... not to be found.   All I can see is below:

Capture.PNG

Could someone add a little detail?  

0 Kudos
spersels
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah... Never mind.... It just occured to me that the situation for the original poster is a bit different than mine.

Android Emulator (requires Hardware Assisted Virtualization)

^

|

Windows 2012 Server (Guest)

^

|

VMWare Workstation 10

^

|

Windows 8.1 PC

So... Given my situation... Is there a way to get VMWare Workstation to expose hardware virtualization to the guest?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The box you want to check is "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI."  I suspect that the option is greyed out because the VM is either running or suspended.  Power down the guest, and you should be able to select the option.

0 Kudos