VMware Cloud Community
venkatesh710
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kernel panic with linux vm

Hi Folks,

I am trying to install a linux vm in a nested esx(vm) .. I am able to install windows vm's , but all linux vm's fail with a kernel panic, any idea how I can create a linux vm on an esx vm ?

~venkat

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide some details about the Linux versions, and whether you use 32 or 64 bit distributions. In addition to this please post (attach) the vmware.log files for the virtual ESXi host as well as for one of the nested Linux VMs.

André

0 Kudos
venkatesh710
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a.p.

Linux version - Cent/RHEL - 6

bit distribution  - 64

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Hard to say what's causing the issue without the log files.

You may also want to take a look at Running Nested VMs to see what needs to be configured in order to be able to install and run nested 64-bit guests.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What is the panic message?

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

You might want to try installing CentOS with the RedHat 5.x O/S choice for the VM instead of RedHat 6.x and see if that gets you installed.

Assuming this is ESX 5.x as the physical ESX host and your CPU has RVI or EPT capability, the O/S choice I'm referring to would be the choice for the O/S for the VM to use (not your choice of Linux for the VM that runs in the O/S). Under Edit Settings for the VM, go to the Options Tab and choose General Settings and in the bottom right side -- choose RedHat 5.x instead of RedHat 6.x.

You may have to build a fresh VM (rather than using your existing VMs and changing the O/S type to RedHat 5.x).

Datto

Message was edited by: Datto

0 Kudos