VMware Cloud Community
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Installing 64-bit os on ESXi in Lab environment

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor 3.40 GHz on my pc with 8 GB of RAM. I installed vmware workstation 8 on it. I want to create a vmware view lab environment. I installed ESXi 5 on my vmware workstation and tried to installe windows server 2008 R2 64-bit on it but every time I tried I faced with an error message saying that 64-bit operating system is not possible. I neet to install windows server 2008 R2 64-bit for running Transfer server and as you know this server should be a virtual machin and should be managed by vcenter server.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Based on this log file, the choice to "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" should not be available in the VM settings for this VM.  Note that this checkbox is different from the "Preferred Mode" drop-down.

Virtualized VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI is a new feature introduced with Workstation 8.0, and requires the latest virtual hardware.  First, upgrade the virtual hardware of your ESXi VM by going to VM->Manage->Change Hardware Compatibility, and select compatibility with "Workstation 8.0."  Then, edit the VM settings, go to the processors tab, and check the box next to "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Power down your ESXi VM. Under Processors, right side change the drop down combo box to be the choice for EPT and RVI.

See if that gets you working when you start up your ESXi VM.

Datto

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Also, make sure you have hardware virtualization engaged in the BIOS of your physical machine.

Datto

0 Kudos
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried but it does not work. The problem exists. I really need to solve this problem.

By the way thank you.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Okay, let's go back to the basics.

In the Edit Properties/Options Tab/General Options/Guest Operating System, have you chosen ESXi 5.0 as the operating system in the lower right corner? If not, power down your VM, choose Other for Operating System and then choose ESXi 5.0 in the drop down combo box. Then boot p your VM and see if you can then run a nested 64 bit VM.

Datto

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was ESXi 5 from the time I installed it.

0 Kudos
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually added

vhv.allow = TRUE

in the /etc/vmware/config file on the ESXi 5 but it dosen't work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Edit the settings for your ESXi VM, go to the processors tab, and  check the box next to "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI."

0 Kudos
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also did it but it dosen't work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you post your vmware.log file for the ESXi VM?

0 Kudos
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My ESXi 5 log file:

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Based on this log file, the choice to "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" should not be available in the VM settings for this VM.  Note that this checkbox is different from the "Preferred Mode" drop-down.

Virtualized VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI is a new feature introduced with Workstation 8.0, and requires the latest virtual hardware.  First, upgrade the virtual hardware of your ESXi VM by going to VM->Manage->Change Hardware Compatibility, and select compatibility with "Workstation 8.0."  Then, edit the VM settings, go to the processors tab, and check the box next to "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI."

0 Kudos
mbayat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very very very much. It worked.

0 Kudos