VMware Cloud Community
RohitVCP7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to install Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3 Beta on Workstation 8

Hi,

I have downloaded the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3 Beta iso (rhevh-6.2-20111108.0.iso 129 mb), but i am not able to install it on VMware workstation 8, because every time it stuck on loading os. for more information check the attached screen shot

and on same workstation i am able to successfully run Hyper-v and RHEL 6.0 with KVM feature enable and also able to create a vms on these.

Could you please help me to resolve this issue

regards

Rohit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Oh, and be sure to use "LSI Logic SAS" as your SCSI controller.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you post your vmware.log file?

0 Kudos
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have a visit following link. Here is a draft guideline to installation process Enterprise Virtualization 3 Beta on RedHat Enterprise.

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.0/html/Quick_Start_Guide/Quick...

0 Kudos
RohitVCP7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find the attached logs.

0 Kudos
RohitVCP7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@srnhpp

i have downlaoded the seperate CD of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3 Beta and i want install it inside a Workstation, not in RHEL 6.

0 Kudos
GirishN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My installation was successful. But it is not booting, throwing an error “ Kernel panic – not syncing: Attempted to kill init!’

I am trying it on workstation 7

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

GirishN wrote:

My installation was successful. But it is not booting, throwing an error “ Kernel panic – not syncing: Attempted to kill init!’

I am trying it on workstation 7

It looks like Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization 3 Beta does not have a device driver for the LSI Logic SCSI controller.  You should be able to work around this problem by selecting the "LSI Logic SAS" SCSI controller when creating your VM.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to get much farther, since Workstation 7 does not virtualize the virtualization hardware of the physical CPU.

I'm still looking into the original poster's problem.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try adding the following to your VM configuration file:

apic.xapic.enable = FALSE

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Oh, and be sure to use "LSI Logic SAS" as your SCSI controller.

0 Kudos
GirishN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks jmattson, it is working with "LSI Logic SAS" on workstation 7

but with workstation 8 I am slso struck exactly at the same place where RohitVCP7 is struck. log attached.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

GirishN wrote:

Thanks jmattson, it is working with "LSI Logic SAS" on workstation 7

but with workstation 8 I am slso struck exactly at the same place where RohitVCP7 is struck. log attached.

I've set up a VM based on your configuration, and I am not seeing any problems with Workstation 8.  Can you press ESC in the guest console when it gets stuck and upload a screenshot?

0 Kudos
GirishN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Attached the screenshot.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's where I was getting stuck before adding apic.xapic.enable=FALSE.  Another workaround I found was adding vcpu.hotadd=FALSE, but this doesn't appear to be set to TRUE in your log file, so I would expect your configuration to work.

Can you try upgrading your virtual hardware (VM->Manage->Change Hardware Compatibility)?

0 Kudos
GirishN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many Thanks!! it is working after adding "apic.xapic.enable=FALSE"

0 Kudos
RohitVCP7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@jmattson

Thanks for the help, after configure the above step i am able to install RHEVH 3.0 inside vmware workstation 8.0.

I have created the below step by step document of the same;

Step by Step installation of KVM / RHEVH 3.0 inside VMware Workstation 8.0

regards

Rohit Kakkar

0 Kudos