VMware Cloud Community
ibmjrsmith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I install VMware tools in an ESXi 5.0 guest hypervisor?

I am running multiple instances of ESXi 5.0 as guest hypervisors under ESXi 5.0. If possible, I would like to install the VMware tools on each guest hypervisor. Is this supported? If so, how is it done? When I click Guest, then Install/Upgrade VMware Tools in vCenter, an error message is displayed that says "No VMware Tools Package is available. The VMware Tools package is not available for this guest operating system."

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  I don't believe there is a VMware Tools package for ESXi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  I don't believe there is a VMware Tools package for ESXi.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Dave Mishchenko wrote:

I don't believe there is a VMware Tools package for ESXi.

That is correct.

ibmjrsmith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When running ESXi 5.0 as a guest hypervisor under ESXI 5.0, will it recognize VMXNET2 and VMXNET3 or must I stick with E1000?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to stick with E1000.

ibmjrsmith
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I probably should have tried to add another network adapter using a different driver before I asked. I just did and found that the E1000E is also an option. It shows up as an Intel 82574L Gigabit Network Connection. The E1000 appears as an Intel 82545EM. Not sure if the change will provide any significant improvement. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't expect it to make any difference.

0 Kudos
beeguar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone figure out how to install a tools package into the nested hypervisor?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There isn't a VMware Tools package for an ESXi guest.

0 Kudos
beeguar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's been well documented, but there are multiple OSes where unsupported versions of tools work extremely well. I'm hoping for the same effect here using linux tools. The physical hypervisor sees the nested hypervisor as a linux VM and will deploy RHEL tools into it. I'm just wondering if they will actually stick or if anyone has been able to get a sucecssful install of them.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Brett Guarino wrote:

That's been well documented, but there are multiple OSes where unsupported versions of tools work extremely well. I'm hoping for the same effect here using linux tools. The physical hypervisor sees the nested hypervisor as a linux VM and will deploy RHEL tools into it. I'm just wondering if they will actually stick or if anyone has been able to get a sucecssful install of them.

If you've configured your ESXi guest correctly, the host hypervisor sees it as an ESXi VM, not a Linux VM.  Regardless, the Linux version of VMware Tools will not work in an ESXi VM.

0 Kudos
beeguar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fair enough. It was a really old one I had built that has the vm version as "Other 64 bit Linux" instead of "VMware ESXi 5.x (experimental)."

I'd still like to make this work. I'm not giving up on it! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Which Tools, in particular, would you like to see supported in an ESXi VM?

0 Kudos
beeguar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not sure I follow the question, as there is no existing package that would just "work," but it would be nice to see the features native to VMTools available in a nested hypervisor... i.e. Ballooning, vmxnet3, power button functionality to issue a graceful shutdown/reboot, etc.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Brett Guarino wrote:

I'm not sure I follow the question, as there is no existing package that would just "work," but it would be nice to see the features native to VMTools available in a nested hypervisor... i.e. Ballooning, vmxnet3, power button functionality to issue a graceful shutdown/reboot, etc.

ESXi 5.1 should have native support for vmxnet3.  There have been a number of requests for power button functionality.  You're the first I know of to request ballooning, but it makes sense.  I'll add it to the feature request list.

0 Kudos
beeguar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks so much! I suppose the features I want from Tools could easily be addressed without actually creating a VMTools package specifically for the hypervisor.

0 Kudos