VMware Cloud Community
mapuancloudengi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everyone, everytime I hot-migrate (Live vMotion) my nested VM under my nested ESXi VM into another nested ESXi VM, I get an error. Please see below text. Please help me. Thanks!

This is the error everytime I migrate the nested VM while it's powered ON: "The VM failed to resume on the destination during early power on.
You are running VMware ESX through an incompatible hypervisor.  You cannot power on a virtual machine until this hypervisor is disabled."

I already did the tweakings on my nested ESXi instances. Like, monitor.virtual_exec = hardware and monitor_control.restrict_backdoor. I also configured and I ran the echo 'vhv.allow = "TRUE"' >> /etc/vmware/config command on my PuTTy as I connect to the physical ESXi hosting the nested ESXi VM instances. I also configured the ESXi VMs to enable AMD-V MMU/CPU Virtualization etc on the Options Tab of Edit VM Settings.

I am talking about vSphere 5.0 here folks. Thank you so much everyone. What can I do or What did I miss? I need to migrate my nested VMs under my nested ESXi successfully.

Thanks again nested VM experts!

Regards, Dann Angelo De Guzman, B.S. Electronics Eng'g VCP-5 #101036 Manila, Philippines If anyone find my responses or blog posts very useful, please consider awarding points. Thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi does not support hardware-assisted virtualization on your processor.  Though your processor does have AMD-V, there was a design flaw with the first generation AMD-V parts which we have chosen not to work around.  You will not be able to run nested VMs on this hardware.

ESXi 5.0 supports AMD-V only on Family 10H and later processors.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It sounds like your ESXi VM may be using binary translation. Can you post the vmware.log file for the destination ESXi VM from your physical host?

mapuancloudengi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi J. Mattson,

Thank you for the response. I have attached the vmware.log files of my ESXi VMs. Both the source and the destination ESXi VM. How can I enable hardware assisted-virtualization, Is it an issue on my physical ESXi HOST? or Should I configure it on the ESXi VM instances I have? How can I verify it anyway? Is it the CPU/MMU Virtualization configuration on the VM?

By the way, I have already enabled Promiscuous Mode on my vSwitches as well on my infrastructure. Both on the physical ESXi HOST I have and the ESXi VMs under it.

Thank you J. Mattson. I really appreciate this a lot. I am developing a lab for some students that's why I need to perform Live vMotion successfully using these nested ESXi VM instances I had built. I had no issues with Storage vMotion. But my vMotion fails Smiley Sad, I haven't tried HA and DRS though. But my ESXi VMs are clustered now.

I am using an AMD Processor on my physical ESXi (HP Proliant DL585 G2 Model Server). It is a Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8218.

Regards,

Dann,

Manila, Phils.

Regards, Dann Angelo De Guzman, B.S. Electronics Eng'g VCP-5 #101036 Manila, Philippines If anyone find my responses or blog posts very useful, please consider awarding points. Thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi does not support hardware-assisted virtualization on your processor.  Though your processor does have AMD-V, there was a design flaw with the first generation AMD-V parts which we have chosen not to work around.  You will not be able to run nested VMs on this hardware.

ESXi 5.0 supports AMD-V only on Family 10H and later processors.

0 Kudos
mapuancloudengi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi J.Mattson,

So, there are no solutions for this? Smiley Sad

But it seems like I could run/power ON the nested VMs. Only the vMotion fails. What is the reason behind it's inconsistency?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You may be able to power on nested VMs, but only with excruciatingly poor performance.  vMotion is failing because CPUID cannot be intercepted at CPL3 using binary translation with direct execution.  You may be able to get vMotion to work by checking "disable acceleration for binary translation," but then your nested VMs would run even slower.

Nested VMs really aren't practical on this hardware.

mapuancloudengi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi J.Mattson,

How can I check "disable acceleration for binary translation". I just want to test it. Thank you. This should be configured on the nested VMs? or on my nested ESXis? or the physical ESXi? Thank you!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the vSphere client, go to the 'Summary' tab for each ESXi VM, click on 'Edit Settings,' select the 'Options' tab, click on 'Advanced/General' in the 'Settings' column, and check the box next to 'Disable acceleration' on the right hand pane.

Again, I do not recommend this.

0 Kudos