VMware Cloud Community
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Getting boot log error while installing win 2008 64bit in the nested vm's

Hi Vmx team,

Need help to sort out the problem.

I install the Win2008 R2 in the Nested VM's getting Boot log error stating Win 2008 64 bit is not supported.checked

Hardware Configuration

Intel VT/VX enabled i7 processor

350 GB HDD

8 GB RAM

Promious mode is enabled in the esx host.

Checked the Virtaulized mode is enabled in Bios

I already checked there is the discussion in the vmware community notified to edit the config file in the esx host

/etc/vmware/config = vhv.enabled = true

then i edited the vmx file of the the win08 64 bit also

CPUid

guest os = "kernel5"

then i power on the win2008 64 bit VM in the VMWare Workstation 8

it's same booting then error occur i recreated more than 20 VM's today itself booted mutiple os/2  WIn2012,Win2008R2,Win07,Win3200364bit.

Please help me to sort it out the problem.

20 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please post the vmware.log file for the outer VM.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from VMware Workstation to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I attach the boot log error with this email.Please check and revert

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Your vmware.log file is from Workstation 7.  Workstation 7 does not support virtualized HV.  You will need Workstation 8 (Player 4) or later.

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I install win2003 32 bit  and linux 64 bit vesion its working fine only Win versions 64bit doesn't support.

I usually use vmware workstation 8 while installing the new virtaul machine asking whether they are two option is there

1 . Use VMware Workstation 7 used to communicate worstation 7,7.12 falvours and above version.

2.  Use VMware Workstation 8 used to communicate workstaion 8 and above version.

I 'll check and revert

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you have problems running a 64-bit nested VM under Workstation 8, please post the vmware.log file for the outer VM.

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey vmx team,

I tried VMWorkstation8 64bit its works for threedays  my esx is crashed of VM Switch Settngs.

Again i built the VM Esx in the VMware Workstation 8 its prompts error in the bootlogin error screen, i made the changes in the /etc/vmware/config file

vhv.enable - "True"

I attach the error aand vmware log file

Please help me to solve the issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Go to the VM settiings for the ESX VM under Workstation and locate the Processors tab.  Check the box next to "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI."

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I already tried,but still not working,any other opton to check.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The log file you posted doesn't have that option set.  Can you post the log file from running the VM with the option checked?

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I attach the log file the option is set.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The log file still shows that the option is not set.  Note that I'm talking about the checkbox for "Virtualize VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" -- *not* the menu selection for "Preferred Mode."

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Hey ,

Please check the attchment this is one.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry; I missed that you were suspending and resuming your VM.  This change has to be made with the VM powered off.

0 Kudos
Sarankal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks mate...cheers

0 Kudos
TechMom20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same issue. I was running ws 8.0.2 when the ESXI 4.1U2 hosts were built.

The server I'm running workstation on is

• running 2008 R2
  • bios has been updated and has all the latest virtualization features (Execute disabled-enabled as well as VT enabled)
  • I booted the server from the cpuinfo iso and it confirmed that 64-bit longmode and vmware are both set to yes.
  • I ran esxcfg-info on the virtual ESXi 4.1U2 host and it tells me HV support is 0
  • When I go to install a 64bit VM nested on the ESXi host I get this message when powering on the VM
  • Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT was enabled in 8.0.2. Since the upgrade, it's still enabled, but hard coded.

• buildingcluster-01.jpg

buildingcluster-08-VT is not avail for this hardware esxcfg-ingo.jpgbuildingcluster-error05--after updating bios.jpg

Any help you can off would be appreciated.

The reason I'm running esxi4.1 is to document the upgrade process.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The implication of the message, "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform," is that your host does not support EPT. 

0 Kudos
TechMom20111014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does that forestall the ability to run a 64-bit OS in this environment? I understood VT to be a requirement, but is EPT as well?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, for virtualized VT-x/EPT inside a Workstation VM, EPT is a requirement.