VMware Cloud Community
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed to run KVM/QEMU under VMware Fusion

I am running a Fedora 32 VM in VMware Fusion Professional Version 11.5.3.

I then configure a VM in Boxes (front end for KVM/QEMU) in Fedora and it fails to start. Initially it said hardware virtualization not found. So then I went into the settings in VMware Fusion and enabled nesting (VT-x/EPT inside this virtual machine).

But now it fails to start. In the log file I see:-

2020-05-03 01:47:53.464+0000: Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

2020-05-03T01:47:53.667149Z qemu-system-x86_64: error: failed to set MSR 0x48f to 0x7fefff00036dfb

qemu-system-x86_64: /builddir/build/BUILD/qemu-4.2.0/target/i386/kvm.c:2947: kvm_put_msrs: Assertion `ret == cpu->kvm_msr_buf->nmsrs' failed.

2020-05-03 01:47:54.154+0000: shutting down, reason=failed

Can anyone help?

I can run ESXi 7.0 no problem under VMware Fusion. So I assume that KVM/QEMU should also work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please post your Fedora 32 VM's vmware.log as an attachment in this thread?  It will contain detailed information about your host CPU and its hardware virtualization support.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here it is. I hope this is the correct file that you asked for...

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks.  I admit that I'm not terribly familiar with KVM's internals... It's possible that it logged something more meaningful to the guest's kernel log buffer.  Is there anything relevant logged (at the instant that QEMU fails) in your /var/log/kernel.log or in the output of sudo dmesg inside the Fedora VM?

By the way, I would probably configure the VM to use the "Fedora 64-bit" guest OS type.  I do not think it is likely to alter the behavior here, but there's a chance that it will improve various compatibility/performance options to better match the needs of the Fedora guest OS.

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi again,

I changed the VM type to Fedora 64-bit and it made no difference sadly.

I could not find a file called kernel.log in /var/log. The output of sudo dmesg is attached in a file - it's pretty big! It was done just after the nested VM failed to start in Boxes.

Thanks.

0 Kudos