VMware Cloud Community
ABBSTT
Contributor
Contributor

Error pop-up noticed while upgrading from ESXi5.0 to ESXi5.1 & ESXi4.1 to ESXi5.1

Scenario-1:  Upgrading from ESXi5.0 to ESXi5.1

Description: Upgrading from ESXi5.0 to ESXi5.1 on ESX server was completed Successfully. After upgrading ESX server, we went to start all guests & below problem encountered.

Problem-1:

Refer attachment-1:vm_msg.jpg

While switching On guest OS,some Pop-up getting displayed like " Virtual machine might have been moved or copied, inorder to configure management & networking features,Vmware ESX needs to knowif this virtual machine was moved or copied.If you doesn't, answer "i Copied it"

a. cancel

b. I moved it

c. I copied it

If i click "I copied it" or " I moved it" , my virtual machines getting booted & no problem encountered, but if i click "Cancel" then power operation terminated.

Problem:2 :

Refer attachment :1.jpg

Eg: Virtual machine: CRDC301

I mapped my CRDC301 one NIC Card MAC address for License of my software & after upgrading ESX server, I went on to power the Virtual machines & while doing for CRDC301, error pop up displayed(refer screenshot:1.jpg) .

Error message: "Failed to start Virtual machine

See th error stack for details on the cause of this problem.

Please answer for the above

0 Kudos
2 Replies
VirtuallyYours
Contributor
Contributor

Problem #1 is because each VM has a unique identifier (UUID) which is specific to that machine and correlates to its configuration file. This message appears in order to avoid conflicts if you move or copy a machine. If you are copying a VM (to make a new VM for instance) it needs to change the UUID to avoid. If you are moving a machine (manually from one host to another for instance) then there is no need to generate a new id and the old one is retained.

This is normal after a host upgrade so you just need to choose one or the other (doesnt really matter whether you choose moved or copied but I would choose moved and leave UUID intact).

I have never seen Issue #2 but I would take care of the first and see if that resolves the 2nd

0 Kudos
ABBSTT
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thank you...

Your reply for Problem-1 is acceptable & Unique identifier will be different for different virtual machines is correct, so this problem occurs, but when i migrated from ESXi4.1 to ESXi5.0 i could not able to see this problem

So could you please help me in understanding this... 

0 Kudos