VMware Cloud Community
kmittal82
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi as a guest hypervisor under Hyper-V

Hi All,

I'm trying to install a VM within a VM, and I have found out that this is not easily possible using Hyper-V.

My host laptop is Windows 8, and I have installed Windows Server 2012 on it as a Virtual Machine running on hyper-v. I now need to install another VM in this Windows Server 2012 VM, or at the very least get the ability to install a VM (Ultimately, I am trying to emulate a cluster of 4 nodes with each node runnign 2-3 VMs, even though the nested VM's can just be empty VHDs)

I tried to install ESX5.1 under my WS2012 machine, so I booted my VM with the ISO for ESX. It did the boot fine, loaded the ESXi installer and loaded various modules, but immediately after its just a blank screen and the installation doesn't proceed any further.

What I would like to know is firstly, am I trying to do the right thing here, and if not, what would be the right way for me to get a VM within a VM going? I have already got my custom WS2012 image running under hyper-v, and I'd prefer if I didn't have to destroy that.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kmittal82
Contributor
Contributor

Got it, didn't need to use ESXi in the end, enabled the hyper-v role using DISM, does what I need to do

0 Kudos