VMware Cloud Community
sparsh
Contributor
Contributor

Configuring the outer virtual machine

hello,

whenever i try to power on

error message show..."Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You cannot power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured."

don't know what to do ??

pls help

thank u

Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You cannot power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured."Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You cannot power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured.
0 Kudos
13 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

So are you trying to run nested ESX? Which products and versions are you working with?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
sparsh
Contributor
Contributor

hey thanks for ur reply

i m using esxi 5

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Have you added

vhv.allow = "TRUE" 

to /etc/vmware/config on the outer ESXi 5 host?

You will need to use the ESXi Shell for this.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
sparsh
Contributor
Contributor

i have added like as shown in file

actually i don't know how to do all this

pls help

is this correct?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

The instructions for configuring and accessing the ESXi Shell are found in kb 2004746.

The following command can be used from the ESXi Shell to make the required change:

echo 'vhv.allow = "TRUE"' >> /etc/vmware/config

The attachment appears to be a virtual disk. You don't need to change anything on the nested ESXi. Just make the one change to the outer host.
The command above comes from a good reference to use for this.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The guestOS type in your esxi.vmx file is "other-64."  You should change this to:

guestOS = "vmkernel5"

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

thread moved from VMware vSphere Hypervisor Community to Nested Virtualization Community

0 Kudos
sparsh
Contributor
Contributor

hey thanks for ur reply

but still the problem persist

i made following change

but it seems that it does not work here

pls help

thanks

0 Kudos
sparsh
Contributor
Contributor

other screen shots

0 Kudos
sorabhk5
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Did you reboot the base host after adding vhv.allow = "TRUE" @  /etc/vmware/config ....?

All opinions expressed here are my personal opinions and not of my employer. Thanks #Sorabh [[ http://sorabhk5.in or @sorabhk5 ]]
0 Kudos
sparsh
Contributor
Contributor

hey,

i don't khow where to add this vhv.allow = "TRUE"

pls specify

new to this

pls help ,,,,provide some screen shots

thanks

0 Kudos
philip8
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Running VMware ESXi 4.1.0 virtual on VMware ESXi 4.1.0.

First the I configured the virtual ESXi server as: Other 64-bit

The *.vmx file was configured with:

guestOS = "other-64"

Starting a Windows Server 2003 virtual machine on the virtual ESXi server gave me the following error:

Running VMware ESX in a virtual machine requires the outer virtual machine to be configured for running a VMware ESX guest operating system. You cannot power on a virtual machine until the outer virtual machine is reconfigured.

I made a change in the *.vmx file mentioned in this thread.

guestOS = "vmkernel"

This was the only change I made.

Power on the virtual VMware ESXi server. After that power on the virtual Windows Server 2003 on the virtual VMware ESXi server and it worked.

Thanks

Philip

0 Kudos
lelunha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you !

0 Kudos