VMware Cloud Community
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

Can't configure FT on VMs

2 hosts on EXSi 5.0 with vHA and FT in a cluster. When confiurate FT on any VMs in the Cluster get a error message:

after passing, like EX03 on Win2008 R2, can't root it.

on Host summary, there is a Configuration Issue:

But, it have 2 NICs on each switch:

What's the problem?

Please give me a advice.

much thank in advance.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the VMs are configured for a single vCPU, correct?  This is all that is supported for FT.

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, every VMs on the Cluster has only one CPU.

thansk,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is VT-x enabled in the host BIOS?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like this is a nested virtualization config - check out http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-nested-vft-virtual-fault.html

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Brian Atkinson wrote:

Looks like this is a nested virtualization config

Good eye!  Thanks for noticing.

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

You are right. Both hosts 10.1.1.211 and 221 are nested hosts on 10.1.1.201.

Now, I configure the Migrate in Advanced Setting below, which introduces in

How to Enable Nested vFT (virtual Fault Tolerance) in vSphere 5

:

2125533_3.png

( I can't use esxcli or legacy esxcfg-advcfg commands. get can't find branch message)

after root VM Ex04 on it, get :

it seems the CPU can't support FT on ESXi 5.0

I am wondering why it could do in vSphere 4.0 as I did it before on same machine.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you trying this with a 64-bit guest?  Record/Replay with binary translation only works with 32-bit guests.

it seems the CPU can't support FT on ESXi 5.0

I am wondering why it could do in vSphere 4.0 as I did it before.

You did this with vSphere 4.0 inside a VM, or with vSphere 4.0 installed on the hardware?

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

The VMs now on the cluster are with 64-bit Win2008server.

Last year I had host and nested hosts on vSphere 4.0, I can't remember what OS those VMs on the vSphere cluster were with . it seemed 32-bit Win2003server.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

George Yu wrote:

The VMs now on the cluster are with 64-bit Win2008server.

Last year I had host and nested hosts on vSphere 4.0, I can't remember what OS those VMs on the vSphere cluster were with . it seemed 32-bit Win2003server.

FT using software virtualization should still work with 32-bit Windows 2003 Server under ESXi 5.x as a guest hypervisor.  FT using software virtualization has never worked with 64-bit guests, as far as I know.

0 Kudos
venkyVM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you try providing a second shared datastore to both the hosts, to resolve the problem in the 2nd screenshot.

George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

32-bit XP was installed on the cluster. But can configure FT on the VM, get:

2125533_5.png

So, it is not VM OS problem, is still host problem, from picture below also can see this point.

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

"Can you try providing a second shared datastore to both the hosts, to resolve the problem in the 2nd screenshot."

let me try to add another storage ofor both nested host and see what will happen.

thanks,

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

Did it and the datastore issume disappeared.

The problem "- Host CPU does not support hardware virtualization which is required for replay." is still there.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

logon via ssh and try this

esxcfg-info|grep "HV Support"

The output of the HV Support command  indicates the type of Hyper-visor support available. These are the  descriptions for the possible values:

0 - VT/AMD-V indicates that support is not available for this hardware.
1 - VT/AMD-V indicates that VT or AMD-V might be available but it is not supported for this hardware.
2 - VT/AMD-V indicates that VT or AMD-V is available but is currently not enabled in the BIOS.
3 - VT/AMD-V indicates that VT or AMD-V is enabled in the BIOS and can be used.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101171...

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post the .vmx file for your Windows XP VM?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor

No, esxcfg-info|grep "HV Support" still can't fix the FT problem.

Also, double check Host BIOS to set VT enable, and on nested hosts, try CPU/MMU Vortualizatopm 3 choices among 4 choices ( only no try Software for instruction set and MMU).

all can't fix it.

Maybe, ESXi5.0 has more limitations as vSphere 4.0 was OK.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

George Yu wrote:

on nested hosts, try CPU/MMU Vortualizatopm 3 choices among 4 choices ( only no try Software for instruction set and MMU).

The only setting that will work for the nested hosts is software for instruction set and MMU, just as in ESX 4.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post the .vmx file for your Windows XP VM?

0 Kudos