Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CPU Incompatible Issue

HI Guys

I Have two issues, which I think is related

Overview

I have a i7 second gen CPU, which I have enabled VT in the Bios and using Vmware Workstation 8 which I have setup  vCenter Server 5 and two Esxi 5 virtual machines in workstation 8, everything it up and running.

1.My first issue is when I go to deploy a VM on one of the ESXi 5 host which will be running Server 2003 64bit, I get error Host CPU is incompatible with the virtual machines requirements at CPUID level 0x8000001 Register 'edx'. host biys: 0000:0000:0001:0000:0000:1000:0000:0000 Required xx1x:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx Mismatch detected for these features: *Longmode;required when a virtual machine is configured for a 64-bit guest OS. When I try to power on the Server 2003 64bit VM

2.When I right click on my cluster in vcenter 5 and choose edit settings and choose VMware EVC and click on the change EVC mode and select Enable EVC for Intel Hosts all the selections from the drop down list give me error " Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) cannot be enabled because the cluster contains hosts that lack EVC-capable hardware.

I have checked the CPU Compatible table and this CPU is supported it is a Inter Core i7-2620M (2.7GHz)

Can anybody help me with this issue

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

just to confirm, did you create the ESXi VM's with Hardware Version 8 and enable/check "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" in the ESXi VM's processor settings?

If this is the case and it still does not work, please attach the ESXi host's vmware.log as well as the nested Windows 2003 guest's vmware.log to your next post.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

just to confirm, did you create the ESXi VM's with Hardware Version 8 and enable/check "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI" in the ESXi VM's processor settings?

If this is the case and it still does not work, please attach the ESXi host's vmware.log as well as the nested Windows 2003 guest's vmware.log to your next post.

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

André is correct about the first issue.  For the second issue, see javascript:;.

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Andre

Thank you for welcoming me to the Community

I enabled/checked "Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT and now I can boot into a x64 image, What I did before is I enabled this option on the ESXi 5 Host and the x64 VM, and that did not work.

Thanks Alot for your help.

I am still having issue with my second problem regrading EVC. are you able to help me regrading this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome.

I guess if you really want to try EVC (which I assume you only want to try, because it's not necessary in this case) you may follow jmattson's link. I didn't try to enable EVC in a VM yet.

André

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI

I tried the link you provided, I copied the below text into the .vmx files and could not boot up the ESXi 5 host :

cpuid.1.ecx = "----:----:1--1:1---:111-:--1-:--11:11-1"
cpuid.1.edx = "1---:1111:111-:1-11:1111:1-11:1111:1111"
cpuid.80000001.ecx = "----:----:----:----:----:----:----:---1"
cpuid.80000001.edx = "--1-:1---:---1:----:----:1---:----:----"

Got error VMware x (access violation) has occurred.

I than removed the above text from the .vmx file and copied the below tex :

cpuid.1.ecx = "----:----:----:----:11--:----:---1:11--"

cpuid.1.edx = "1---:----:----:----:----:----:----:----"

This time I was able to bootup the ESXi 5 host but still could not enable EVC.

Is there anything else I can try.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Please post the vmware.log file for your ESXi VM.

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I have uploaded the vmware.log file.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Infor123 wrote:

I than removed the above text from the .vmx file and copied the below tex :

cpuid.1.ecx = "----:----:----:----:11--:----:---1:11--"

This time I was able to bootup the ESXi 5 host but still could not enable EVC.

That should have worked.  What error do you get when you try to enable EVC?

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI

The error I get when I try to move the ESXi host into the EVC enabled cluster is " The Host's CPU hardware should support the clusters current Enhanced vMotion Compatibility mode, but some of the necessary CPU features are missing from the host. Check the hosts BIOS configuration to ensure that no necessary features are disabled (such as XD, VT, AES, or PCLMULQDQ for Intel, or NX for AMD) for more information see KB article 1003212."

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the baseline CPU for the cluster?

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Jim

See attachment for current EVC setting on my cluster, there are currently no ESXi host’s inside the cluster.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The previous masks were for a Nehalem baseline.  For Sandy Bridge, I believe you will need one more feature bit:

cpuid.1.ecx = "----:----:----:--1-:11--:----:---1:11--"

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jim

I have put the below details in my ESXi host vmx file and now I can use any Intel processors from the drop list for Compatibility except for the Intel Sandy Bridge Generation , so we are getting close, is there any more masks I can try.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I ask to see your latest vmware.log file?

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Jim

Log Attached. I have attached two logs one for the ESXi host and the other is for the vCenter Server.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you also post the vpxd.log file from within the vCenter guest?

0 Kudos
Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Jim

Sorry for the delay, attached is the log. I when into vCenter and then to system logs, and selected vCenter Server logs {vpxd-13.log} from the drop down list and coped all the contect into a text file, I don’t know if this is correct, is this the best way to get these logs or are they stored some where in a Windows folder which I can just copy.

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay.  It looks like VC is looking for yet another feature.  Try this:

cpuid.1.ecx = "----:---1:----:--1-:11--:----:---1:11--"

Infor123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI Jim

Thank you very much for your help, CPU mask worked and now I can choose Inter Sandy Bridge processors.

Also can you just tell me where in Windows does vCenter keep all the log files.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos