VMware Cloud Community
roman7927
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

64-bit guest inside ESXi 5.0 inside ESXi 5.0 (nested vm)

I'm trying to run 64-bit guest inside ESXi 5.0 inside ESXi 5.0. It wasn't possible to run nested VMs in ESXi 4.x, but as far as I know it's now possible in 5.0. But I still get this error when I start nest 64-bit VM:

Host CPI is incompatible with virtual machine's requirements at CPUID level 0x800000001 register 'edx.

Host bits: 0000:0000:0001:0000:0000:1000:0000:0000

Required: xx1x:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

Mistamtch detected for these features:

* Longmode; required when a virtual machine is configured for a 64-bit guest OS. For systems with Intel CPUs, enabling VT in the BIOS is required for longmode support.

I did configure ESXi 5.0 VM with:

- CPU/MMU virtualization: "Use Intel VT-x/AMD-V for instruction set virtualization and Intel EPT/AMD RVI for MMU virtualization"

- CPU ID Level 80000001: edx: --1- ---- ---H ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The host itself needs some memory too, which is not available to the VMs. Please take a look at the virtual host's "Resource Allocation" tab to see how much memory is available for VMs. There's also some memory overhead that you need to take into account for powering on the VM. Assigning slightly more memory to the ESXi VM (~4.5GB) should do.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

In case of ESXi 5.0 on ESXi 5.0 you will need to add

vhv.enable = TRUE

to the virtual ESXi 5.0 host's /etc/vmware/config file.

Please take a look at http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970 for details about running nested VMs.

André

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Discussion moved from VMware ESXi 5 to Nested Virtualization

0 Kudos
roman7927
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I already had vhv.enable set on the physical host. I was missing the Guest OS Type for ESXi VM. Thanks for the link, it's working now!!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback.

André

PS: Set the question to "Assumed Answered"

roman7927
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you please help me with one more issue?

- My ESXi VM has 4GB of RAM (I tried with 4GB reserved and unreserved)

- My nested guest VM has 2GB of RAM, but it also requires to have 2GB of RAM reserved (normal shares)

When I try to start this guest VM, I get "The Available Memory resources in the parent resource pool are insufficient for the operation". If I remove reservation from the guest VM, it starts fine. Any suggestions on how I can make it start with 2GB of RAM reserved?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The host itself needs some memory too, which is not available to the VMs. Please take a look at the virtual host's "Resource Allocation" tab to see how much memory is available for VMs. There's also some memory overhead that you need to take into account for powering on the VM. Assigning slightly more memory to the ESXi VM (~4.5GB) should do.

André

0 Kudos
roman7927
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it, thanks!

0 Kudos