VMware Cloud Community
MarcelMertens
Contributor
Contributor

Extract Substring of String for Relationship Matching

Hello,

i'm currently building a MP for NSX-T to get IPSecVPN Sessions into vROPS.

I'm able to get the data for each session, but i struggle to create the relationship to the parent.

The matching reference of the parent is not a 1:1 match.

The parent has an "ID" inside vROPS, but the MP Builder get a "parent_path" which includes the "ID" of the parent

"parent_path": "/infra/tier-1s/8ea006cf-6e05-4cc6-9840-7bb8c19b1925/ipsec-vpn-services/IPSec_VPN_O9508-TEST",

Is there any way to us the substring of "parent_path" to create a relationship?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
marbogast
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @MarcelMertens,

We don't currently have a way to match based on a substring. We're looking to add this functionality in the next release. 

Do you need both the full path and the parent ID as distinct properties on the object? Or do you just need the parent ID?

Best regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
MarcelMertens
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i need the parent ID only to match the objects.

We are currently moving our complete billing process for our private cloud to vROPS and have to connect many external sources. My experice is that is very rare to have exacly the same identifier as a "single" variable 100% identical in both worlds (vROPS and external source).

Often the external source string is part of a larger string.

See my example with NSX-T. But i also know that Veeam reports the VM-uuid in a "vcloud:vm:uuid" format. So any method to extract a substring is mandatory. RegEx might work for simple things, but javascript (like litte "orchestrator actions") are more sufficent.

0 Kudos
tdunckel
Community Manager
Community Manager

Complex relationship matching including regex and combining multiple object properties is available in Management Pack Builder v1.1 which can be downloaded here.

0 Kudos