VMware Cloud Community
dustyfork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 7U1 Networking

I built up a basic intel box at home with 16 GB of ram, net connectivity and storage. I downloaded the vSphere 7U1 ESXi Linux ISO image and used Rufus to load the ISO onto a USB stick. I configured the server to boot USB first and installed vSphere. My server is connected to a firewall that also serves as a DHCP server. When the vSphere kernel boots up it finds the firewall and is assigned an IP. I have another windows machine on the subnet and I am able to bring up the vSphere interface and login. I enabled ssh, was able to login to the server CLI and ping outside the private network.

I spun up my first VM using the web interface and pulling from a dropdown presented on the interface. I chose Ubuntu and the server created the VM. I powered on the VM and hit a road block. By default it appears that the VM wants to boot by PXE and a DHCP spinner spins until it comes back with a PXE-53: No boot filename received and PXE-MOF: Existing Intel PXE ROM. Operating system not found.

I've searched a lot of posts and I haven't found anything that quite speaks to this. Oh, I setup a switch as well with a port mapped to the VM. Has anyone run into this specific scenario before? I could use some help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@dustyfork 

Sounds like you have create the empty shell of a VM and not yet installed an OS inside it, you have to provide some sort of OS installer to the VM such as a Linux distribution ISO connected to the VMs CD/DVD drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@dustyfork 

Sounds like you have create the empty shell of a VM and not yet installed an OS inside it, you have to provide some sort of OS installer to the VM such as a Linux distribution ISO connected to the VMs CD/DVD drive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As Scott mentions, you still need to install the Operating System. vSphere/ESXi doesn't come with templates or images of operating systems. The dropdown you selected for the operating system simply ensures that the selected hardware and settings are supporting/compatible with the operating system you are going to install.

0 Kudos
dustyfork
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yup, that was it. I don't have a CD drive on the box so I downloaded an ISO and loaded it onto a usb. I had to tinker with the usb setup on the VM, but I got it to find the usb drive and boot. I wish I remembered what I did. I was also able to get the VM taking to the network.

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Just remember you don't need to load them into the USB drives always. You can simply upload the ISO file inside the datastore and mount it to your VMs. It can be a faster way to install the OS too.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos