VMware Cloud Community
dlee2654
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init"

Hello, I frequently get warnings on my Linux servers when attempting to migrate them about incompatible controller type.  they are all set for buslogic SCSI controller.  I cloned one of my servers, then attempted to change from buslogic to lsilogic and now it fails to boot with "kernel panic - not syncing attempted to kill init".  It seems all the fix documents I can find for SCSI controller boot failure apply to windows.  I am hoping that by now, in 2015, someone has managed to resolve this issue?  re-installing Linux is not an option for me, too complex of a program to re-install/configure.  I seem unable to formulate a search query that returns an answer that applies to Linux guest OS.

thanks,

-d

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dlee2654
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears that my one last shot at searching paid off.  the instructions found How to Change SCSI Controllers on your Linux VM – The Lone Sysadmin

solved my problem.  my old Linux vms are now all booting from LSILogic SAS controller with no errors or warnings.  Hopefully this helps someone.

thanks,

-d

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dlee2654
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears that my one last shot at searching paid off.  the instructions found How to Change SCSI Controllers on your Linux VM – The Lone Sysadmin

solved my problem.  my old Linux vms are now all booting from LSILogic SAS controller with no errors or warnings.  Hopefully this helps someone.

thanks,

-d

0 Kudos