VMware Cloud Community
RedGT90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Workstation Player 15 and No space left on device using Linux Mint

Hello all,

I downloaded VMware WorkStation 15 Player in order to run the latest Linux Mint.  At first, I used VMware Workstation Pro with no problems, but then I saw Workstation Player was free, so I uninstalled Workstation Pro and installed Player.  It is on Windows 10, 64-bit operating system, running on a home laptop.  It was able to boot up Mint, so before I set it up, I decided to run the update.
I first setup new locations for fast delivery, and proceeded.  I then saw what I needed, and downloaded the packages.  It began to install them, but a problem came up.
A box opens and says: "An error occurred
The following details are provided:
E:/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-rnlJIG/...(extra text not copied): cannot copy extracted data for './usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libLLVM-9' to '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/(extra text not copied)': failed to write (No space left on device)
E:/tmp/apt-dpkg-install-rnlJIG/(extra text not copied): unable to make backup link of './usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so' before installing new version:  No space left on device"

Soon after a second window opens with the following:"
Low Disk Space
This computer has 0 bytes disk space remaining."
At the bottom of the box are 2 buttons, Examine and Ignore.  I close it, and have no numeric codes given to me.

There are 2 partitions this laptop came with, C:\ with 54.5 GB free, and D:\ with 23.6 GB of free space.  I have VMware Workstation 15 Player installed on C:\ and the Mint ISO file on D:\.
So I have the space it says it needs.  I am confused.  What do I need to do to overcome this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RedGT90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all,

Turns out, I think it was a Linux Mint issue, because the root folder was "\cow" instead of being "\sda1".  I have no idea how or why it was that way,  I just pointed Player to Mint's ISO file.  Someone suggested that I try Ubuntu instead, so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 19.10.  No problems so far.  It takes longer to load, and there are some quirks, but I just need to read up on using it now.  Thank you.  I'll try to read up on the Mint problem later.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

What size is the virtual disk you gave to the VM? Sounds like it is full.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RedGT90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Be careful, I am somewhat a newbie here.  I've worked with Linux in the past, but not much VMware experience.

I looked it up in VMware Workstation 15 Player.  I opened it up, clicked on Mint, and chose "Edit virtual machine settings".

Memory, which I assume to be the RAM, is 2 GB.  The hard disk (says SCSI in parenthesis) is set to 30 GB.

I also have this from Mint:

mint@mint:$ inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: mint Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop :Cinnamon 4.4.5

Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Machine: Type: Vmware System: VMware product: VMware Virtual Platform v: N/A serial: <filter>

Mobo: Intel model: 440BX Desktop Reference Platform serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix v: 6.00 date: 07/29/2019

CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: Intel Core i5-7300HQ bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB

flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse3 bogomips: 4992

Speed: 2496 min/max: N/A Core speed (Mhz): 1: 2496

Graphics: Device-1: VMware SVGA II Adapter driver: vmwgfx v: 2.15.0.0 bus ID: 00:0f.0

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver vmware unloaded: fdev, modesetting, vesa resolution: 1280x800~60Hz

OpenGL: renderer: SVGA3D; build v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes

Audio:     Device-1: Ensoniq ES1371/ES11373 / Creative Labs CT2518 driver: snd_ens1371 v: kernel bus ID: 02:02.0

Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.0.0-32-generic

Network  Device-1: Intel 82371AB/EB/MB PII4 ACPI vendor: VMware Virtual Machine type: network bridge driver: N/A port 1060

bus ID: 00:07.3

Device-2: Intel 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet vendor: VMware PRO/1000 MT Single Port driver: e1000 v: 7.3.21-k8-NAPI

port: 2000 bus ID: 02:01.0

IF: ens33 state: up speed:1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>

Drivers:   Local Storage: total: 30.00 GiB used: 151.2 Mib (0.5%)

ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: VMware model: Virtual S size: 30.00 GiB

Partition: ID-1: /size: 983.0 MiB used: 151.2 MiB (15.4%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102

Sensors:   Message: No sensor data was found. Is sensor configured?

Info:        Processors: 232 Uptime: 48m Memory: 1.92 GiB used: 654.4 MiB (33.3%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0

Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inixi: 3.0.32

I do hope this helps.  Like I said, I was able to work fine using Workstation Pro, but I don't have $250 to spend, hence my switch to Workstation Player.  And thank you, I appreciate whatever help you provide.

0 Kudos
RedGT90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also did a df -m in Mint and got the following:

mint@mint:~$ df -m

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

undev                   960       0         960      0%    /dev

tmpfs                    197       2         196      1%    /run

/dev/sr0              1943 1943             0   100%   /cdrom

/dev/loop0          1859 1859             0   100%   /rofs

/cow                     983     58         926       6%    /

tmpfs                    983      0         983        0%   /dev/shm

tmpfs                        5      1             5        1%   /run/lock

tmpfs                    983      0         983        0%   /svs/fs/cgroup

tmpfs                    983      1         983        1%   /tmp

tmpfs                    197      1         197        1%   /run/user/999

mint@mint:~$

I can already see "/dev/sr0" mounted on /cdrom and "dev/loop0" mounted on rofs are at 100%.  What do I do next?  And thanks.

0 Kudos
RedGT90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is more:

mint@mint:~$ df -m .

Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/cow                     983     58          926     6%    /

mint@mint:~$

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

So your "/" (root) filesystem has plenty of space free, it might be your /tmp partition that becomes full when you start the upgrade.

From what you've said so far, I don't think this is a VMware-specific issue.

Post your issue on here and see what others say: Linux Mint Forums - Index page

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
RedGT90
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all,

Turns out, I think it was a Linux Mint issue, because the root folder was "\cow" instead of being "\sda1".  I have no idea how or why it was that way,  I just pointed Player to Mint's ISO file.  Someone suggested that I try Ubuntu instead, so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 19.10.  No problems so far.  It takes longer to load, and there are some quirks, but I just need to read up on using it now.  Thank you.  I'll try to read up on the Mint problem later.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to the Linux guest OS area as the issue was unrelated to a VMware product.

0 Kudos