VMware Cloud Community
Thiemann
Contributor
Contributor

VMware OSP for RHEL

Hi,

the tar version of the VMware Tools for Red Hat includes a vmware-config-tools.pl script which configures

the udev rule to increase the scsi timeout to 180 seconds, which was recommended by VMware. 

/etc/udev/rules.d/99-vmware-scsi-udev.rules

This is completely missing in the VMware OPS's.

Why ? Is it a bug or a "feature" ?

Is it now up to me to add this rule to RHEL VM's ?

Martin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kumar_krishnamo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Martin,

Will talk to the development team and will get back to you on this. Most likely this will get addressed in the next OSP release.

Could you please let me know on which Tools TAR version, the timeout is set correctly ?

Thanks.

Kumar

0 Kudos
darniellec
Contributor
Contributor

Martin,

You are my hero. I had the same gripe while trying to review switching away from the VMware tools tarball over to OSP. I'm just now getting back to looking at this again and hadn't had a chance to post on this. It is my understanding that the timeouts were introduced with VMware tools 4.x. I believe in the interim until this hopefully gets resolvedI will continue to use netapp's script in the ESX Host Utilities Kit.

This kind of makes me wonder what is missing or different between the tarball versus the OSP packages.

Chad

0 Kudos
de2rfg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you get an answer for this? I've just switched from the tar ball to RPM Version and also wondering why the scsi timeouts are not changed.

0 Kudos
darniellec
Contributor
Contributor

I havent seen any change yet with the the OSP packages but I've only been playing with 4.1latest (8.3.12-559003) rhel 6 x86_64  (http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/4.1latest/rhel6/x86_64/index.html). Since we aren't seeing much traction here I'm starting to think we need to open up a support case to get some visability on this.

What I have done in the meantime is harvest the 99-vmware-scsi-udev.rules file from the vmware-tools tarball install and then have a post install script copy this file into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and then execute /sbin/start_udev.

Anyone else see this incorporated yet, possibly in the ESX 5.x tools?

0 Kudos