VMware Cloud Community
Williamlee88
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare powers off when trying to install Ubuntu 20.04

Hi,

I am currently using VMWare Esxi 6.5 which currently has 2 VMs (Windows 10 and Windows Server 2008 R2).

I am trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 on a new VM but everytime I power it on, it would load for a bit and then power itself off. Initially it would show the keyboard and human logo when I start it up, and then it powers off. Attempting to try again, it would sometimes load the Ubuntu installation screen, allow me to choose what to do and then it would power itself off again. Any attempts to try again after that, it would show the message "Failed to Connect"

Please see the attached image showing the Failed to Connect error message and powered off after trying to install Ubuntu.

If i try to install windows instead of Ubuntu, I have 0 problems and its fine. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your efforts and time.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Williamlee88 

Moderator: Moved to the Linux Discussions sub-area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @Williamlee88 ,

Seems like a compatibility issue. I don't see Ubuntu 20.04 listed as compatible for ESXi 6.5. It is listed for ESXi 6.7 and later versions.

Ubuntu 18.04 is listed for 6.5.    Please refer --> VMware Guest OS compatibility 

Hope that helps.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

What is the easiest Linux-distribution to install in a VM ? - was an easy question for at least a decade.
Of course the answer was Ubuntu - but that answer no longer applies these days.
A few weeks ago I tried the same: install Ubuntu 20 in a current Workstation or ESXi-VM.
The results were so anoying that I decided to switch to Debian or go with Ubuntu 14 or 16.

If you really must use Ubuntu 20.04 I would suggest to download a minimal network-boot ISO or use an Ubuntu-server iso and use that for the installation.
I know that this does not seem to help you - but right now the question is: who fails ? - me, vmware or ubuntu ?
IMHO the most useful theory is: there is something "wrong" with Ubuntu 20.

So do not waste any time with blameing yourself ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
Williamlee88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @continuum  and @ashilkrishnan ,

Thank you so much for your replies, i greatly appreciate it. 

Funnily enough, on another machine, which is identical (same machine specs, same esxi 6.5, same configurations) i was able to install it without any issues (please see the attached image) which is why i'm scratching my head. 

Ideally it would need to be 20.04 as we're trying to set a testing environment which would match the machine which has Ubuntu 20.04.

However, i will let my boss know about the information you both provided and see what he says.

Any further information or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Again, many thanks!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>> However, i will let my boss know about the information you both provided ...

Information ? - I am not sure if I would use that term here ...

In my case you hear an arrogant old man that assumed he could create a Ubuntu 20-LiveCD that detects all vmware-related virtual hardware within 3 lazy evenings. and that without reading any of the related documentation before.
The same dude also claims: to really learn about ESXi and VMs do NOT read the manual before you understand the basics .. and now he failed when trying to create a Ubuntu20 VM with a virtual e1000e nic.
Most vsphere admins would just RTFM in such a crisis and call it a day ...
Playing the "Now Ubuntu is going somewhere strange ...!" card may be a valid approach in pure theory - but 99% of admins recommend to NEVER play that card  when CEOs, Bosses or husbands or wives are in thesame  room.

So when you talk to your boss just mention a "user who says that reading vmware documentation is contra-productive, now makes a first exception and recommends to read Ubuntu 20 release notes" or just the short version "romantic ex-hippie-talk from a hopeless vmtn-junkie"

Ulli

0 Kudos
Williamlee88
Contributor
Contributor

>>Information ? - I am not sure if I would use that term here ...

I was thinking if i had used the right word there but at the time I couldn't think what to use 😅

Once again, I appreciate the advice 😊

0 Kudos