VMware Cloud Community
gnoetzel
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Client (vsphere 7.0.3) Assign Client a static IP address

We have uploaded a vendor OVA template into our VMware environment.  Once unpackaged - the server is running without issues.

At this point, the server is a Linux 2.6.x 64bit OS.  I am not a Linux gruru, but I have been communicating with the Vendor company that the OVA template came from. He is not very helpful.  

The Linux server is running with configuration of DHCP.  There is a command to 'change' the IP address of the server.  Once applies, I reboot the server and when reloaded - the server produces an error as follows:

Current IP address is x.x.x.x, it's different from the configured IP address.  Please execute config to change the IP address, otherwise you cannot use the service normally.

Prior to error - it shows my static IP address, but it wants the x.x.x.x instead.  I am not able to WebURL to it.

The product is Grandstream Manager.

I appreciate all your help.  Please email me directly if you have a possible solution:

gnoetzel @ reidsvillenc.gov

Thank you,

Gil

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What exactly is producing the error? The OS or the application?

This sounds like an issue with the application, not specific to you running the software on ESXi.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Alfista_PS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I don't know from who is the OVA, but what I know from some vendors which I use, there is a problem its their internal usage and configuration. Many of the vendors use Docker or Kubernetes internally in their systems and changing the IP made then problems in their other configurations. 

I thing you should ask the Vendor for its support (hope you have it) that they help you to check the system and resolve the configuration issue.

Alfista
----------------------
Audio-Video Accessories
Selling and Integration of Audio & Video Accessories and Technology
If my answer has resolved your problem please mark as RESOLVED or if it has only was a good help then give me the KUDOS. Thanks.
0 Kudos
gnoetzel
Contributor
Contributor

Additional Information:

Everyone - attached is the screen shot of the issue as follows:

Screen Shot: GWN_Server_IP <-- shows the IP address of the server is 1.1.1.20   This IP address was given to the server via DHCP

Screen Shot: GWN-Config-1 <-- shows the steps that I ran a Config command to change it to static: 10.1.1.10, then it regenerate a certificate for the address change, then added 10 years to the CA.  Reported SUCCESS

Screen Shot: GWN-Config-2 <-- shows when I rebooted the server and ran the Status, it shows the current URL from STATIC IP, but the error below reports an error.  

Do not worry about the IP address or the Subnet mask...just an illustration of IP address sample.   

The Vendor was unable to assist me.  However, they provided an email with the following link:https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/Assign-static-IP-to-guest-with-NAT-Virt-...

I am not running VMWorkstation/Play.  This is actually running on EXSI host using VCenter 7.0.3. that is using the VM Network

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't see any screenshots.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
gnoetzel
Contributor
Contributor

check the original post.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don’t think this has anything to do with the VMware product you are using to run the VM, it is the application reporting the error so the best point of contact would be the application vendor.

0 Kudos