VMware Cloud Community
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RHEL guest managed vmtools upgradeable or not?

Hello, I googled and searched also the RH KB but have not found an aswer to my questions:

1. Is the guest managed vmtools that red hat comes with upgradeable? Any repository I need to configure in UM?

2. Are the guest managed vmtools better than the classic VMWare vmtools available on the ESXi hosts?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found the reply to my first question:

You cannot use vCenter server to update OVT

vCenter Server cannot be used to install upgrades of open-vm-tools in your VMs. You have to manage the installation and update of open-vm-tools from within each guest OS using the native package manager, such as yum or apt.

You should expect to get updates of open-vm-tools in sync with the installation of updates and patches in the guest operating system or the virtual appliance.

I also found out that VMWare vmtools are better from a manageability point of view

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found the reply to my first question:

You cannot use vCenter server to update OVT

vCenter Server cannot be used to install upgrades of open-vm-tools in your VMs. You have to manage the installation and update of open-vm-tools from within each guest OS using the native package manager, such as yum or apt.

You should expect to get updates of open-vm-tools in sync with the installation of updates and patches in the guest operating system or the virtual appliance.

I also found out that VMWare vmtools are better from a manageability point of view

0 Kudos