VMware Cloud Community
AndreMueller
Contributor
Contributor

Problem creating files on hgfs mounted volume from QT GUI programs

Dear all,

I use VMWare Fusion 8.5.8 on Mac OS 10.11.6 with a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 16bit guest. I tried vmtools from the vendor as well as openvm-tools from repository as well as self compiled from source. All with the same effect.

I am unable to create new files on the vmware mounted volume (e.g. /mnt/hgfs/whatever) when I use programs with a QT GUI. Initially I expected that to be a bug in GNU/Octave (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?51439) but actually the problem occurs also with other QT written programs. As pointed out in the linked bug report, running "$ getconf _POSIX_NAME_MAX /mnt/hgfs/whatever" results in "0".

However, creating files in the shared folder with Nautilus or "touch" works. Once the file exists, it is also possible to save into that file from above mentioned programs. So this is a workaround for the moment, but it looks to me as if there is a problem with the NAME_MAX paramter which is only an issue for QT.

Is there a different way of mounting the shared folder with a custom NAME_MAX parameter, or a way I can mount the folder and letting QT think it is allowed to create new files on the shared fs?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Please see KB Sharing a folder from your Mac to a virtual machine (1004055) | VMware KB

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
AndreMueller
Contributor
Contributor

Hi parmarr

that is in principle what I did so far (and just did again to double-check).

Actually, in principle shared folders work. From within Nautilus I can access files on the HGFS, i.e. read write and create files. Only (some?) programs using QT which rely on the parameter for the file name size are unable to create new files (I can still write into files!).

Hence it looks like VMware giving a wrong parameter for the filesystem which only affects some programs.

0 Kudos