Contributor
Contributor

OVF deployment of SLES11 iso: Cant find the vmware-guestd

System Set up and Deployment

-

ESX 4.1

VSphere Clien 4.1.0

VM Studio 2.1

Iso being used: SLES-11-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso downloaded directly from Novell site

I create an OVF file and vmdk via VMStudio. I then deploy that VM via OVF to an ESX server.

Set some specific parameters needed for OVFenv.

I then manually start and configure the vm network settings.

-

Problem:

I need to get ovf env specific values to configure the VM. The ideal way is to run the vmware-guestd --cmd "info-get guestinfo.ovfEnv".

This script does not exist on my SLES 11 VM after start up. I looked in the usr/sbin location and it is not there. I am wondering if VMWare Tools was installed at all. I tried to run the vmware-config-tools.pl however I can not find that either. I am not a Linux guru so I am not sure how to tell if the VMWare tools service is fully functional. I may also be digging down the wrong path all together. I am able to see the ovf Environment xml using VCenter but I am unable to generate the ovfEnv.xml that I need for sccripting. From VCenter the state of the VMTools is "Unmanaged".

Can anyone help me here?

Is the vmware-guestd --cmd "info-get guestinfo.ovfEnv" command something that I still want to use with this version of ESX/VCenter?

If so why can I not find the vmware-guestd script?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
matthewEaton
Contributor
Contributor

Solution:

-

The /opt/etc/vmware/vami directory has the ovfEnv.xml file in it.

When using VMWare Studio the file is created autoamtically.

A user can also /opt/vmware/share/vami ./vami_ovf_process -p

This will print the output to the screen. I did have trouble trying to use the > command to specify a file. However it does not matter because the file already exists in the /opt/etc/vmware/vami directory

0 Kudos
rakslice1
Contributor
Contributor

If the command to get the OVF environment contents differs between versions of ESX/vCenter, what's the point of using OVF environment for configuration?

0 Kudos