VMware Cloud Community
Ryan425
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mounting Windows Share Folder from Redhat Linux in my VMs on an ESXi

Is there anything about virtual machines / the ESXi that would block me from being able to mount a Windows 2019 Server VM's share folder from a Redhat VM?  I can easily access the folder from a windows 10 VM but I just can't seem to access it with my redhat machine.  I can ping it fine and have been trying all kinds of stuff from what I could find online but it still doesn't work.  I wanted to make sure that VMWare/ESXi should be transparent to what I'm trying to do.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you can ping, there’s nothing in ESXi that would prevent any other traffic from passing between the VMs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Linux guest area, not a VMware-specific issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine

If you can ping it means vSphere networking features are doing their trick so it's working.
Maybe there is a firewall in the middle (a physical firewall, windows firewall or redhat IPtables) blocking the share.

Just 2 questions?

Are you pinging via IP? Have you checked DNS?
Do you have NSX?

Looking forward to hearing from you

0 Kudos