VMware Cloud Community
kobrik
Contributor
Contributor

How to access USB stick content from VMWare running Windows 7?

I am running Windows 7 via VMWare under Ubuntu 18.04. I have followed the procedure to install the USB stick. It is now connected to the host.

However, I don't know how to access the content of the stick. My Google research indicates that this may be a mounting issue. I read somewhere that I should check /proc/bus/usb, but the usb directory does not exist in /proc/bus. Unfortunately, I am not a Linux expert at this.

Please help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
breakstuffmajor
Contributor
Contributor

There are contradictions in your post that need to be clarified to help you more. It seems what you mean to say is that you are running Ubuntu under Windows and that you have used the VMWare GUI to connect the USB drive to the Ubuntu guest but can't access it from Ubuntu. If this is what you mean to say, then this isn't a VMWare problem. You just need to google how mount a USB drive in Ubuntu, which is going to give you an abundance of instructions on how to do that with the fdisk and mount commands, etc.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the Linux guest area, once you’ve connected the USB device to the VM the rest has nothing to do with Workstation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos