VMware Cloud Community
citation79
Contributor
Contributor

Extend a Centos7 partition beyond 2TB with VMware 6.7

Hi guys,

Hope all is well.

I need some guidance or a tutorial on how to grow my Centos server partition from 2TB to 3.5TB.

As you may know, fdisk doesn't allow growing a disk beyond the 2TB mark. I already did fdisk and got it to the 2TB threshold but I can't increase it any more.

What would be the best way to grow the /home partition since I need it to store more files etc.

Can I just create a new partition from that extra space added to the server (its additional space on the same disk, not a different disk).

How can I do it? That would be another way. Set up another partition with the remaining space and move stuff over there.

Or if I can just expand the 2TB partition to the 3.5TB with another command that works that would be great.

Here is my df -h:

Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

devtmpfs             7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev

tmpfs                7.8G  4.0K  7.8G   1% /dev/shm

tmpfs                7.8G  9.2M  7.8G   1% /run

tmpfs                7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup

/dev/mapper/cl-root   50G   15G   36G  30% /

/dev/sda1           1014M  177M  838M  18% /boot

/dev/mapper/cl-home  2.0T  1.6T  376G  82% /home

/dev/loop0           2.2G   36M  2.0G   2% /tmp

tmpfs                1.6G     0  1.6G   0% /run/user/1010

How can I expand cl-home beyond 2TB without having to create another partition? can I just extend it without fdisk?

Let me know.

Teo

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Virtual Machine, Guest OS and VM Tools > Linux

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos