VMware Cloud Community
danpoole
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi error I have never seen

Hello, I have a RHEL 7 VM running on my ESXi machine and it has been running for almost 2 years now. Yesterday I noticed a problem with it and started troubleshooting. What I found is that whenever I boot it up, it throttles the ram down to about 10% of what I assigned to it (about 2.6 Gb) and it will enter post, start with the RHEL 7 login screen, but before it reaches the login screen it goes black screen. The OS is operating just fine because I can putty and WinSCP into it to see and manipulate files. But I get no visual from Vnc, remote desktop, or console. I've tried booting it into rescue mode, I had an SMBus error and corrected that, upgraded VM Tools, and gone into the BIOS. All of this has done nothing. I am about to restore it from a backup but I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and how you fixed it. Also to note, I have verified the hardware of the server is fine, and that there are no problems with the amount of resources or if there are memory leakages anywhere.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported to moderators so it can be moved to the correct area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos